7 Best Renters Insurance Companies in Hawaii of 2023
No federal or state law requires those who rent in Hawaii to buy renters insurance.
However, renters insurance is a must for Hawaii residents.
The state suffers from frequent wildfires. If your building or house rental catches fire and damages everything you own, renters insurance will pay for your belongings.
If you didn’t have renters insurance, you’d have to pay out of pocket to replace everything.
We recommend renters insurance for every Hawaii renter because many people do not have enough savings to replace their belongings if they were stolen or destroyed.
There are many renters insurance companies in Hawaii, but not all of them can provide you with the protection you want, such as if an insurer has limited coverage options.
PropertyNest compared and researched the best renters insurance companies in Hawaii to give you an idea of your options and included some necessary information about renters insurance that can be useful to those currently shopping around for a policy.
Best Renters Insurance Companies in Hawaii
- Allstate: Best for Individuals Over 55 Years Old
- Liberty Mutual: Best for Generally Known to Offer Some of the Lowest Rates
- State Farm: Best for Higher Coverage Limits
- Farmers: Best for Non-Smoking
- Travelers: Best for Coverage of Valuable Items
- Progressive: Best for Many Discounts
- GEICO: Best for Additional Coverage
Allstate: Best Renters Insurance for Individuals Over 55 Years Old
If you are 55 years old and retired, Allstate offers you a discount that can’t be beaten and which is unique to the insurer.
You can save up to 25% off your premium.
That can make your retirement more enjoyable.
As long as you are not actively seeking full-time employment, renters will get that discount.
In addition, Allstate offers the best multi-policy discount on the market.
If you have both renters insurance and auto insurance from Allstate, you’ll get 10% off your auto policy and 25% off your renters policy.
Read a full Allstate renters insurance review.
Allstate Renters Insurance Discounts
- Autopay: Signing up for autopay and linking your checking account.
- Claims-Free: Being claims-free for five consecutive years.
- Safe Home: Making your rental safe.
Allstate Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- Rates are generally considered affordable.
- Easy-to-use website.
- Great coverages.
- Easy to contact a live agent.
- Theft that happens in a school or office is covered.
- Sudden and accidental damage from artificially generated electrical current is covered.
- Discounts and policies may not be eligible for certain states.
- Average claims process satisfaction.
- Replacement cost means a higher premium.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||837|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A+|
|NAIC Complaint Index||2.05|
Liberty Mutual: Best Renters Insurance Generally Known to Offer Some of the Lowest Rates
Liberty Mutual offers comprehensive, customized renters coverage to protect your belongings at a wallet-friendly price.
In fact, according to the insurer’s website, policy premiums start at $5 per month.
However, that starting point is for only the standard or basic coverage.
How much you pay depends on several things, including where you live, the value of your belongings, and how much coverage you need.
Because the standard policy will only pay up to its limits, many renters choose to get higher coverage to protect their belongings in full.
And if you have very expensive items like jewelry, you may have to take out a rider.
Finally, your premium will also rise if you add replacement cost coverage.
Read a full Liberty Mutual home insurance review.
Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance Discounts
- Multi-Policy: Bundle renters with auto insurance.
- Claims-Free: If you haven’t filed a claim with your previous insurance for at least five years.
- Security Protection: Security systems, alarms, and deadbolts will get you a discount.
- Preferred Payment: If you opt for automatic payments linked to a bank account.
- Paperless Policy: If you choose to receive renters information by e-mail rather than by mail.
Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- Customer support available online 24/7.
- Contact insurer in four ways: online, mobile app, telephone, and in-person agents.
- Several coverages and add-ons.
- Filing claim online is quick and easy.
- Blanket jewelry extra coverage replaces lost or stolen valuables without deductible or appraisal.
- Doesn’t reward loyal customers with lower prices per year.
- Replacement cost does not come standard.
- Getting quote online depends on where you live.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||834|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A|
|NAIC Complaint Index||2.37|
State Farm: Best Renters Insurance for Higher Coverage Limits
State Farm is one of the largest insurers in the world. It has a high financial strength, which means you have peace of mind that your claims will be processed and paid in a timely manner.
Even if, say, a whole area in Hawaii is devastated by a tropical storm, State Farm has the ability to pay numerous claims at once.
Personal property coverage is probably the main reason most purchase a renters policy.
Because of that, State Farm offers higher coverage limits compared to similar insurers.
So, if you have a lot of personal belongings to protect, State Farm may be a good choice for you.
Read a full State Farm renters insurance review.
State Farm Renters Insurance Discounts
- Multi-Policy: Bundle renters insurance with State Farm car insurance.
- Safe Home: Make rental safe by installing security measures.
State Farm Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- Identity restoration available as add-on.
- Long history of paying claims promptly.
- Renters insurance with State Farm is lower than national average.
- “Find an agent” tool on website to quickly connect to live customer service rep.
- Automatically increases the amount of your coverage on your personal items as inflation changes the cost of living.
- No limit on personal property coverage.
- Only two discounts available.
- Discounts not available in certain states.
- Add-ons can be costly.
- Only online customer support is FAQ.
- Phone customer support not available 24/7.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||836|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A++|
|NAIC Complaint Index||1.77|
Farmers: Best Renters Insurance for Non-Smoking
Everyone knows smoking is bad for you.
If you smoke, you may have no incentive to quit.
But if you sign up for renters insurance with Farmers, you’ll save on your policy if you or your family members have not smoked tobacco products in the past two years.
The discount is unique to Farmers and may be a necessity.
An unattended lit cigarette can easily start a fire in your rental unit like a candle.
Farmers Renters Insurance Discounts
- Purchase Multiple Policies: Buying renters insurance with an auto, life, or umbrella policy, will get you a discount.
- First Responders: Discount for first responders and other professionals such as firefighters, police, doctors, nurses, engineers, and teachers.
- Home Security: You'll also get a discount if you install an approved electronic security system or fire alarm.
Farmers Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- Four easy ways to file a claim.
- Discount if you never made a claim for five years in a row.
- Claims processing service available 24/7.
- Higher coverage limits for those who need them.
- Has mold protection add-on; unique to the insurer.
- Covers rental updates made by renters.
- Personal property still protected while traveling.
- Customer service line open during limited times.
- Limited discounts.
- Discounts vary from state to state.
- Average rates are generally known to be higher than those of competitors.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||831|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A|
|NAIC Complaint Index||0.56|
Progressive: Best Renters Insurance for Many Discounts
Progressive is one of the most well-known and largest insurance companies in the industry.
Due in part to its high financial strength, Progressive can offer many discounts to renters that can lower their premiums.
Read a full Progressive renters insurance review.
Progressive Renters Insurance Discounts
Here are some of the discounts you may be eligible for.
- Multi-Policy: 5% discount on auto policy when you bundle renters with auto.
- Paperless: Documents sent via email rather than by mail.
- Pay in Full: Pay policy in full the second you sign on the dotted line.
- The 3-Day Discount: Start your policy at least three days after reviewing your quote.
- Gated Community: If your rental is behind gates or has a security guard.
Progressive Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- Best for deep discounts.
- Easy-to-use mobile app.
- Easy claims process.
- 24/7 customer service.
- Can contact agent via phone, web portal, app, or online chat.
- Requires your SSN for you to get a quote.
- Extra fees to start coverage included in down payment makes the first month of coverage expensive.
- Rates are average.
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A+|
|NAIC Complaint Index||1.66|
Travelers: Best Renters Insurance for Coverage of Valuable Items
Travelers renters insurance stands out due to its coverages that you can add to your standard policy.
For example, the insurer offers equipment breakdown coverage that pays if your washing machine malfunctions or stops working.
And a water backup coverage pays for damage to your property due to water damage.
But the insurer’s best coverage is for valuable items.
The company allows you to add higher limits of coverage to your renters policy to cover your expensive items and so you don’t have to pay out-of-pocket if your personal property limits are lower than some or all of your items.
You can add this coverage if you have jewelry, fine art, musical instruments, and electronic equipment.
The best part about this coverage is that you don’t need to get your items appraised.
This provides great convenience.
Travelers Renters Insurance Discounts
- Multi-Policy: Bundling renters insurance with auto gets you 5% discount on your rate.
- Claims-Free: If you don’t file a claim for a specific time period.
- Protective Devices: Installing security systems or smart or connected home technology that can alert you to a fire or break-in.
Travelers Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- Great coverage options.
- 24/7 for claims and customer service.
- Useful features on website and mobile app.
- Add-ons like decreasing deductible are unique.
- Policy can only be bought annually rather than every month.
- Need to call to get quote in some states.
- Can’t go below $30,000 of personal property.
- Partial refund if you cancel policy midyear.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||801|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A++|
|NAIC Complaint Index||3.88|
GEICO: Best Renters Insurance for Additional Coverages
If you’re searching for a renters insurance provider with over 50 years of experience, low deductibles, and a strong financial standing, consider GEICO.
And if you are looking to add more coverages to your standard renters policy, GEICO offers some solid choices.
For an additional monthly amount, you can add coverage for:
- Replacement Cash Value: If your laptop, for example, was damaged by a covered peril, RCV will pay for a new one using today’s prices rather than the depreciated amount.
- Identity Theft Services: If your identity is stolen, this add-on will notify credit bureaus, replace important and confidential documents, and compensate for a policyholder’s time and other related expenses.
- Water Backup: This covers sewer, plumbing, and sump pump backup.
- Scheduled Personal Property: Extends personal property coverage beyond the standard policy so you can ensure full coverage of expensive items, such as pricey artwork.
- Jewelry Insurance : This separate insurance policy is designed to offer a higher level of protection just for your expensive jewelry.
GEICO Renters Insurance Discounts
- Multi-Policy: Bundle renters with auto insurance.
- Home Security: Live in a building with security staff or install a burglar alarm.
- Sprinkler and Smoke Alarm: Add these along with a fire extinguisher.
GEICO Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- Online calculator helps determine how much rental coverage fits your situation.
- GEICO has a plethora of local agents across the country.
- Renters insurance is relatively affordable.
- Lower than the average deductible option of $100.
- Add-on for mechanical failure of appliances or electronic devices.
- Only three available discounts as listed on GEICO website.
- Partners with third-party insurers to offer renters insurance.
- Functions as an agency and doesn't underwrite its own renters policies.
- Mobile app is most useful for auto insurance, not renters.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||869|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A++|
|Company||PropertyNest Rating||J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||A.M Best Rating||BBB Rating|
What is the Average Cost of Renters Insurance in Hawaii?
Renters insurance is very affordable compared to the amount of coverage it provides.
The amount you pay depends on factors such as where you live, your prior claims experience, and your credit score.
In addition, your deductible, add-ons, and coverage limits can also impact how much you pay for renters insurance.
The average cost for a basic renters insurance policy in Hawaii is $198 per year or $17 per month.
What Factors Determine Your Renters Insurance Premium?
The premium you pay differs from another policyholder. Each person will get a different quote due to certain factors.
Insurers typically charge more for rentals in high-crime areas or where natural disasters frequently occur that may damage rental units.
If you live in a neighborhood that’s close to a fire hydrant or a fire department, you can minimize the spread of a possible fire that can damage your unit or rental home. As such, your rate will be lower.
Your premium will be lower if your rental has a smoke alarm, sprinkler system, and carbon monoxide detector.
The Size of Your Building or Unit
You'll pay less if you rent in a large building with many units.
But your premium will be higher if you live in a smaller building with only a few units.
You’ll pay less if you have an excellent credit score.
That’s because the insurer believes that those with good credit are statistically more likely to pay their monthly premium on time.
If you never make a claim for a period determined by your insurer, you’ll also pay less.
Your standard renters policy probably won't provide enough coverage to replace all your items, especially those high in cost like jewelry.
If you take out a rider or endorsement to cover your valuables in full, that coverage can lead to a higher premium.
Your deductible will also affect your premium. The more you’re willing to cover before your insurance kicks in, the less expensive your premium will be.
If you have a breed that is considered high risk, like a pit bull or a Doberman pinscher, you’ll pay more.
Can You Lower Rental Insurance Premiums?
You can do a few things to save money on a renters insurance policy.
Shop around and compare coverage and prices between companies to get the best rate.
Higher deductibles usually mean lower premiums, so you may be able to save money by increasing your deductible.
You can also bundle your renters insurance with other policies, such as auto or home insurance, to get a combined discount on all of them.
Compare Multiple Quotes
Comparing multiple quotes is one of the best ways to get the best deal on renters insurance.
It would be best to get quotes from many insurers using the same coverage amounts to compare rates and find the most affordable insurer.
Finding an insurer that has the most discounts can lower your premium.
The multi-policy discount is the most important because it can significantly reduce your premium.
For example, if you bundle renters insurance and auto insurance from Allstate, you’ll get 10% off your auto policy and 25% off your renters policy.
Try increasing your credit score by paying bills on time or, if you have the money, paying off your debts in full. Insurers use your credit score to rate your policy. The better your score, the less risky insurers perceive you to be, so your price will be lower.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover in Hawaii?
Renters insurance in Hawaii covers losses from fire and smoke, windstorms, hail and lightning strikes, theft and vandalism, falling objects, explosions and civil disturbances.
It also provides personal liability coverage for any damage or injury you cause to someone else’s property.
Most policies will also cover the cost of temporary living expenses if your rental unit is damaged and you need to stay somewhere else while it is being fixed.
Your renters insurance will cover the replacement cost of personal property up to the limit of the policy, which varies by insurer.
The standard renters insurance policy offers the following:
Liability protects you against lawsuits from someone who has bodily injuries or property damages that you or your family caused to them. Liability also covers your legal defense.
Loss of Use
This policy covers basic living expenses such as temporary housing costs if your rental unit becomes uninhabitable due to damage and destruction from fire, smoke, or heavy winds, to name a few.
This policy pays for medical care if there is bodily injury to a person that occurs in your rental unit, regardless of fault.
Personal Property Coverage
This pays to repair or replace the property that has been stolen, damaged, or destroyed by theft, fire, windstorms, and other covered perils.
|Cash or Other Forms of Currency||Bank notes, bullions, gold or silver (non-jewelry), coins, medals, smart cards, stored value cards.||Most renters insurance policies will only cover up to $200 in stolen cash.|
|Electronic Equipment||Phones (iPhones, Androids), computers, laptops, iPads, earbuds, smart watches, TV sets, gaming systems, Alexa or Google home devices, etc.||Standard renters insurance policies cover the loss or damage of electronic devices.|
|Clothing||Designer purse/handbags, shoes, jewelry, designer watches||Standard renters policies cover your personal clothing or designer handbags etc.|
|Power Tools||Drills & drivers, saws.||Covered under the personal property coverage.|
|Kitchen appliances||Vitamix or NutriBullet blenders, electric mixers, ice makers, coffee machines.||Renters insurance covers personal appliances if they are damaged, stolen, or destroyed by a covered peril.|
|Prescription drugs||Will not cover stolen prescription drugs, but in most cases will cover prescription drug refills.|
|Personal information||Bank accounts, identity information stolen from documents, or stolen personal equipment.||Most companies do not include identity theft as a covered peril in a standard renters insurance policy.|
|Firearms||Pistols, rifles||Firearms are covered under personal property coverage.|
What is Not Covered in Renters Insurance?
Renters insurance does not cover damage caused by flooding, earthquakes, and other natural disasters unless specified in the policy.
Additionally, renters insurance doesn't cover the loss or theft of items outside your living space, such as a stolen laptop or bike.
You will need to consider additional coverage for these items if you cannot afford to replace them without help.
What is a Covered Peril?
Renters insurance protects us from many emergencies that we have no control over.
These are covered perils.
Also known as a named peril, a covered peril is when your insurer agrees to reimburse you after you file a claim.
The covered perils included in a standard renters insurance policy are theft, electrical surges, explosions, falling objects, lightning, fire, smoke, windstorm, hail, the weight of snow, ice, or sleet, civil disruption, vandalism, and riots, as well as an accidental discharge of water such as a plumbing failure in your rental.
What is Actual Cash Value vs. Replacement Cost?
These two terms are critical for you to understand when purchasing renters insurance.
When you sign up for a policy, your insurer will give you the option of actual cash value (ACV) or replacement cost value (RCV).
For RCV, if your personal items were damaged or destroyed from a covered peril, your insurer will pay for them in full using today’s costs.
But with ACV, your insurer will only reimburse you for what your items were worth when they were damaged or stolen.
In short, RCV pays you in full, while ACV pays only for the depreciated value.
For example, RCV will give you a brand-new smart TV to cover the one you owned that you purchased five years ago. Meanwhile, ACV will cover the TV at the price you paid it at the time of purchase, i.e., five years.
How Much Coverage Do You Need?
Most insurers allow you to choose the amount of personal property coverage you want to carry on your renters policy.
The best way to determine the extra coverage you may need is to do a home inventory.
A home inventory is taking stock of all your possessions by using photos or a spreadsheet and assigning the cost of each.
To get the cost, use receipts or find the prices online for the same or similar items you own.
Your property includes laptops, furniture, clothing, electronics, home decor, bedding, kitchen supplies like silverware and dishes, knick-knacks, and other furnishings.
Many renters underestimate the cost of their personal belongings.
That’s why a home inventory is so important.
You arrive at the most precise total to determine how much extra coverage you need to buy if you have to replace everything after a covered peril destroys them.
A comprehensive inventory means you’ll only pay for what you need.
And if you file a claim, your documentation will be indispensable because you will be better able to prove to your insurer what possessions you own and the value of each.
Will Renters Insurance Cover for High-Value Items?
A renters policy most likely will not pay in full if you have expensive personal belongings.
Most insurers have special policy limits of liability for valuable property.
These special limits mean that the insurer limits how much it will pay.
The typical standard renters insurance limit for pricey belongings, such as jewelry, artwork, musical instruments, and more, is usually set at $10,000.
Now, if someone stole your engagement ring that has a value of $12,000, the most you would get would be $10,000.
To make sure your ring is insured to its total value, you can add a rider to your policy, but it will come at an additional cost on top of your policy.
A rider adds more benefits to your basic renters insurance policy and means you are adding a specific item to it.
A rider is also called an endorsement.
You can also schedule your ring or other valuables.
Scheduling means you list your ring separately on your policy and insure it for its value.
When you schedule, you will be covered for anything that could happen to your ring.
What are the Recurring Natural Disasters in Hawaii?
Hawaii is at risk for the frequent occurrence of wildfires and floods.
The state is also susceptible to landslides, volcanoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis.
Wildfires are covered in the standard renters insurance policy.
But floods are not.
Renters insurance doesn't cover damage from outside water sources or floods.
Luckily, separate coverage for floods is often available through an endorsement or standalone policies, depending on your insurance company and where you live.
We thoroughly researched the state's top renters’ insurance companies and narrowed the list down to those that operated in Hawaii.
We rated them on criteria that included ease of use, ratings, financial strength, customer, and affordability.
How We Picked the Best Renters Insurance Companies in Hawaii
We looked at several factors to determine the best renters insurance companies in Hawaii.
The more discounts an insurer had, the more likely your rate will drop.
In particular, we looked at the multi-policy discount because it offered the most savings.
Every renter has different insurance coverage needs. So, when evaluating insurers, we looked for companies with a wide range of useful coverage options.
Those insurers that had some essential coverages that came standard in their basic policies ranked higher on our list (such as RCV).
We only considered an insurer if it had a useful and easy-to-use website and mobile app where you could do several things—get a quote, buy a policy, file and track a claim online, pay your bills on a mobile app, and much more.
If an insurer required you to speak to an agent to get a quote, this could lead to a lack of convenience, and we tried to avoid such an insurer.
We reviewed verified customer reviews on different websites that catered to reviewing insurance policies.
Insurers with a good number of quality customer ratings and reviews were included in our list.
Renters insurance is supposed to give you peace of mind, not frighten you when the next bill comes.
Insurers that had low premiums or had plenty of options to lower your premium, such as discounts, ranked higher on our list than others.