6 Best Renters Insurance Companies in Alabama 2023
Renters insurance protects your possessions from damage from fire, storms, theft, and other covered perils.
Plus, renters insurance protects your liability if someone is injured in your rental home or apartment.
For Alabama residents who rent, renters insurance, which is not required by federal law, is necessary to have because the state is constantly under siege by floods and hurricanes.
While flood is never covered in a standard renters policy, you can easily get flood insurance to protect your belongings from water damage.
Renters insurance is relatively cheap, and some insurers have premiums lower than fifteen dollars per month.
Whether renting in Huntsville, Gulf Shores, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa, or one of the other towns in the Heart of Dixie, getting the best renters insurance in Alabama can take a lot of work.
Many insurers cater to Alabama residents, and you have to do your research to narrow down your choices by getting quotes from several companies and then comparing their rates.
Focusing on affordability, coverage, customer service, and discounts, we were able to reduce the number of choices to discover the best renters insurance companies in Alabama.
The Best Renters Insurance in Alabama
- Allstate: Best Renters Insurance for Multi-Policy Discount
- Liberty Mutual: Best Renters Insurance for Typically the Lowest Rates
- Farmers: Best Renters Insurance Overall
- Progressive: Best Renters Insurance for Add-Ons
- State Farm: Best Renters Insurance for Replacement Cost Coverage
- Travelers: Best Renters Insurance for Protecting Renter Improvements
Allstate: Best Renters Insurance for Multi-Policy Discount
Allstate offers the best multi-policy discount on the market.
If you have both renters insurance and auto insurance from Allstate, you’ll get 10% off your auto policy and 25% off your renters policy.
And their website is easy to use and offers a host of educational resources for renters.
Also, Allstate offers some coverages that similar insurers don’t have.
- Theft Outside Rental: Theft that occurs in a school or office is covered.
- Malicious Mischief: Riots and civil commotion are covered, in addition to malicious mischief.
- Electrical Current: Sudden and accidental damage from artificially generated electrical current is covered.
Read a full Allstate renters insurance review.
Allstate Renters Insurance Discounts
- Multi-policy: As mentioned, there are potentially big savings with bundling policies.
- Autopay: Signing up for autopay and linking your checking account.
- Claims Free: Being claims-free for five consecutive years.
- Older Generations: For retired policyholders who are 55 or older.
- Safe Home: Making your rental safe by installing fire, smoke, and burglar alarms, as well as other security details.
Pros and Cons of Allstate Renters Insurance
- Offers the best multi-policy discount in the industry.
- One of the few renters insurance companies with rates that are generally considered affordable.
- Website is helpful and full of resources.
- Easy to contact a live agent.
- Different ways to customize your deductibles and coverages.
- Discounts and policies may not be eligible for certain states.
- Average claims process satisfaction.
- Average customer satisfaction for claims.
- Optional coverage like yard and garden not available in every state.
- Adding replacement cost coverage means higher monthly premiums.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||837|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A+|
|NAIC Complaint Index||2.05|
Liberty Mutual: Best Renters Insurance for Typically the Lowest Rates
Liberty Mutual stands out as a company because of its sheer affordability.
Their national average on premiums is noticeably lower than most other insurers of the same size.
For as low as $5 a month, renters insurance from Liberty Mutual is a surprisingly affordable way to keep your personal belongings safe and protected.
However, the monthly cost of your premium depends on several factors, including how safe your neighborhood is, the total value of your personal belongings, and how much coverage you want.
Since many customers increase their personal property limits to ensure adequate coverage to insure their valuables, your rate will be much higher than Liberty’s quote.
In addition, because replacement cost comes with an additional fee, your rate will also increase.
Read a full Liberty Mutual renters insurance review.
Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance Discounts
Liberty Mutual offers a fair number of opportunities for their customers to save money.
- Multi-Policy: Bundling policies together under Liberty Mutual saves you money.
- Claims-Free: Being claims-free for the last five years gets you an annual discount.
- Continuous Coverage: Buy the policy before your existing renters insurance policy expires and save.
- Protective Devices: Installing safety devices in your rental gets you a discount
- Auto-pay: Enroll in automatic payments that link to your bank account.
- Paperless Discount: Get another discount when you opt to receive your policy documents electronically.
Pros and Cons of Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance
- Customer support available online 24/7.
- Four ways to contact insurer: online, mobile app, telephone, and in-person agents.
- Several coverages.
- Filing claims online is quick and easy.
- Blanket jewelry extra coverage replaces lost or stolen valuables without deductible or appraisal.
- User-friendly website and mobile app.
- Doesn’t reward loyal customers with lower prices per year.
- Replacement cost value and theft coverage will increase premium.
- Depending on where you live, you may not be able to get a quote online.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||834|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A|
|NAIC Complaint Index||2.37|
Progressive: Best Renters Insurance for Add-Ons
Many people buy additional coverage or add-ons for specific items, as well as to make their basic renters policy more comprehensive.
Some add-ons that Progressive offers include the following.
Home Computer Coverage
This provides additional coverage for your computers and related business equipment like scanners and copy machines.
Extra liability coverage for injuries caused by you.
If water backs up through drains or sewers or an overflow from a sump pump and your property gets damaged, this add-on will cover the damages.
Increases the coverage limits on collectible personal items due to theft or loss—for example, stamp collections or contemporary first-edition book collections.
Progressive Renters Insurance Discounts
- Quote in Advance: Get a quote at least three days before your policy starts.
- Receive Documents Electronically: Receive all documents, bills, and policy info via email.
- Pay in Full: Pay your policy upfront in full.
- Secured Community: Rent in a gated community or neighborhood monitored by security guards.
Pros and Cons of Progressive Renters Insurance
- Single deductible: bundle renters and auto insurance and only one deductible applies.
- Easy online quote.
- Customer service rep available 24/7 by phone.
- Increased coverage at a cost for watercraft, theft of firearms, and business property.
- Known for offering extensive named peril coverages.
- If you get a renters insurance quote through Progressive your policy may come from a different insurer through Progressive’s insurance agency.
- Replacement cost coverage doesn’t come standard.
- To file renters claim, you must contact insurer directly.
- Has mobile app for auto and other types of insurance, but you can’t use it to manage your renters policy.
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A+|
|NAIC Complaint Index||1.66|
Farmers: Best Renters Insurance Overall
Farmers is known for many things, such as having a good amount of discounts and several different coverages to make your standard policy more comprehensive.
Farmers is best overall because it makes it easy for customers who need renters insurance. If you already have coverage, navigating your renters insurance is also easy.
Here are some of the reasons why we ranked Farmers the best.
Farmer has a user-friendly website. You can get a quote on the company’s website or use it to find a local Farmers agent.
In addition, their mobile app is even better. It allows you to manage your insurance policies, view your documents, report claims, and contact your agent.
Access to customer service is also phenomenal, as you can contact Farmers anytime via phone.
Farmers also offers multiple modes of filing claims. You can file a claim on the mobile app, website, or phone. You can also send a text message to file a claim.
Lastly, there's no red tape if you want to cancel your policy anytime. You can call the insurer’s customer care service, cancel the policy online, or visit your local agent.
The good thing is that the insurer does not charge a cancellation fee. However, if you’ve paid your premium in full, Farmers will refund the amount on a pro-rated basis for the unused term.
Farmers Renters Insurance Discounts
Farmers has the most unique discounts in comparison to its competitors.
- Smoke-Free Discount: If your rental is smoke-free for at least two consecutive years.
- Occupation Discount: Business professionals (doctors, nurses, engineers, dentists, teachers, firefighters, and police officers) get a discount.
- Welcome Discount: The insurer offers a welcome discount once you sign up for renters insurance.
Pros and Cons of Farmers Renters Insurance
- Receive quote simply by providing your ZIP code.
- Online calculator helps you calculate how much insurance you’ll need based on your circumstances.
- Scheduled personal property pays for the loss of high-value items.
- Personal property replacement cost replaces older items with brand new brand-new equivalent items.
- Has identity theft coverage.
- Customer service available seven days a week.
- Claims processing service available 24/7.
- Farmers doesn’t disclose available coverage limits on its website; you have to contact an agent instead.
- Limited discounts.
- Discount availability varies from state to state.
- Average rates are higher than those of competitors.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||831|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A|
|NAIC Complaint Index||0.56|
State Farm: Best Renters Insurance for Replacement Cost Coverage
State Farm is one of the largest insurers in the industry. Because of this, it has excellent customer service, a helpful website, and plenty of coverage.
What makes State Farm standout is its replacement cost coverage (RCV).
Some standard renters policies do not come with replacement costs.
If an insurer does offer replacement costs, it will come with a high price.
Meanwhile, State Farm’s standard policy comes with replacement costs without an extra fee.
If your personal items were damaged or destroyed due to a covered peril, insurers typically apply ACV (actual cost value) to your belongings. So, if your laptop is damaged, ACV will only cover its depreciated value.
With replacement cost, instead of giving you what your old laptop is worth today, it will allow you to purchase a brand-new one.
Read a full State Farm renters insurance review.
State Farm Renters Insurance Discounts
- Safety Discount: Alarms, security systems, deadbolts, and more.
- Multi-Policy: Bundle car with renters insurance.
- Higher Deductible: Lower your monthly premium by choosing higher deductibles. The higher the deductible, the lower your premium.
Pros and Cons of State Farm Renters Insurance
- Generally known to have the most affordable rates in comparison to similar insurers.
- Website has “find an agent” tool that allows you to quickly connect to a live customer service rep.
- Automatically increases the amount of your coverage on your personal items as inflation changes the cost of living.
- No limit on personal property coverage.
- Few discounts
- Add-ons can be costly.
- Offers only two extra coverage options beyond basic coverage: identity theft protection and extended liability.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||836|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A++|
|NAIC Complaint Index||1.77|
Travelers: Best Renters Insurance for Protecting Renter Improvements
But what makes the insurer unique is that it caters to renters who make improvements to their rentals.
Renters don’t have many options to personalize their rentals because they don’t own their units.
However, Travelers Insurance is one of the few insurance companies that might reward you for your efforts.
But if you get approval from your landlord, you can do many things in your rental. You can install built-ins such as bookcases or cabinets, paint the walls, put up wallpaper, or change ceiling fixtures.
If your improvements are damaged due to a fire, the standard policy will cover them.
You get up to 10% of a renters insurance policy's personal property coverage that you can use to repair or replace your improvements.
Travelers Renters Insurance Discounts
Travelers is known for its multiple discounts, user-friendly website, and important riders that you can add to your policy.
- Multi-Policy Discount: Save up to 5% on car insurance when you also have a renters policy with Travelers. And if you have an umbrella policy, boat insurance, or personal articles floater policy, you’ll also save.
- Claims-Free Discount: Not making claims for a specified time period.
- Protective Device Discounts: If you have interior sprinkler systems, home security systems, and smart or connected home technology.
Pros and Cons of Travelers Renters Insurance
- 24/7 for claims and customer service.
- Useful features on website and app.
- Features decreasing deductible.
- Equipment breakdown (such as appliances).
- Has rider that covers expensive items with higher coverage limits.
- Slightly higher premiums compared to similar insurers.
- Replacement cost value is an add-on.
- Need to call to get quote in some states.
- Can’t go below $30,000 of personal property.
- Partial refund if you cancel policy midyear.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||801|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A++|
|NAIC Complaint Index||3.88|
Amica: Best Renters Insurance for Discounts
Amica has few consumer complaints, an easy-to-use website and mobile app, and a wide range of coverage options.
While the cost of a renters policy with Amica is average, the insurer offers plenty of discounts to make their coverage competitive with similar insurers.
Keep in mind that some discounts may not be available in all states.
Amica Renters Insurance Discounts
Here are a few of the many discounts.
- Loyalty Discount: If you’ve been with Amica for at least two years, you’ll get a discount. The more time spent with the insurer, the more you save.
- AutoPay: Pay your premium using automatic deductions.
- Multi-Policy Discount: Save up to 15% if you get renters insurance and car insurance.
- Claims-Free: If you don’t make a claim in three years.
- E-Discount: Receive policy information and bills electronically.
Pros and Cons of Amica Renters Insurance
- User-friendly website lets you get an online quote, file and track claims, and chat with a customer service specialist.
- Has scheduled personal property for expanded coverage of valuables.
- Smart devices and computer coverage to cover phone, laptop, tablet, and more.
- Identity fraud add-on to cover expenses if identity is compromised.
- No limit on personal property coverage.
- Offers deductibles as low as $100.
- Representatives available via live chat, but hours are limited.
- Doesn’t go into detail about which events you’re protected from under coverage.
- Not available nationwide.
- Relatively costly.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||854|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A+|
|NAIC Complaint Index||0.32|
Is Renters Insurance Mandatory to Rent an Apartment in Alabama?
in Alabama, renters insurance is not mandatory by law to rent an apartment.
You will only be required to get renters insurance if your landlord or property management company needs it as a condition of your lease.
In such a case, then renters insurance becomes mandatory.
Landlords fear renters will come after them for personal property damages or liability costs.
But landlords have their own insurance, which does not cover damage to your personal property.
Landlords cover the structure of your building or other rental dwellings; since you don’t own the house or apartment building unit, you don’t need to worry about getting coverage for your exterior and interior if it is damaged due to a covered peril.
For example. If the rental unit or building is damaged or destroyed due to fire, it will be the landlord’s responsibility to make the repairs.
Without renters insurance and if a fire happens and destroys your personal property, you’ll have to replace or repair your belongings out-of-pocket.
This is why most renters insurance may be essential, regardless of if you’re not required to have it. It is the most affordable way to protect your personal property.
Renters insurance even covers your personal liability.
What is the Average Cost of Renters Insurance in Alabama?
The amount of coverage you select, rather than the kind of property you rent, ultimately determines your policy rate.
So, rates will vary depending on your preferred coverage limits and the value of your belongings.
The average cost of a renters insurance policy in the US is $15 per month or $179 per year.
The average cost of renters insurance in Alabama is $17 per month or $203 per year.
Alabama renters insurance is more costly than the average policy in the US.
What Determines Your Renters Insurance Premium?
Several factors affect how the insurance company will determine your rate.
Where You Live
Your premium depends on where you live. If you live on a fault line, or your neighborhood has a high crime rate and is not close to a fully manned fire department, you and your rental are considered a risk, and the insurer will raise your premium.
Before pricing your premium, the insurer will assess if you can pay your premium on time. If your credit history is good and you have little debt, insurers will consider you responsible, and you will most likely never miss a payment. As such, your premium will be lowered.
Your renters insurance deductible is the amount of money you pay to repair or replace your possessions before your insurance funds kick in.
If you opt for a higher deductible, your monthly premium will decrease. The more you are willing to pay for the deductible, the less the premium costs.
Remember that you can afford the deductible if you make a claim.
You'll pay less if you’ve never made a claim with your previous insurer and then switched to a new insurer.
If you take out a rider or endorsement to cover your valuables, that coverage can lead to a higher premium.
How Can You Lower Your Premium?
There are two ways you can lower your premium.
The first way is to get quotes from at least three different insurers using the exact coverage amounts.
Then you can decide which is the most affordable when you compare rates.
The second way is to reach out to an insurer’s agent to see if it offers discounts that you may qualify for and which, taken together, will cause your premium to drop.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover in Alabama?
The standard renters insurance policy in Alabama covers liability, theft, medical treatment, and loss of use.
Liability protects you against lawsuits from someone who has bodily injuries or property damages that you or your family caused to them. Liability also covers your legal defense.
For example, if someone visits your rental and gets bitten by your dog, your liability coverage will pay for the injuries.
If that person sues you, liability will cover you. Since lawsuits can cost a lot of money, liability coverage is essential.
Loss of Use
This policy covers basic living expenses—meals and toiletries, for example—and temporary housing costs—hotel or motel stays—if your rental unit becomes uninhabitable due to damage and destruction from fire, smoke, or heavy winds, to name a few.
This policy pays for medical care if there is bodily injury to a person that occurs in your rental unit, regardless of fault.
Personal Property Coverage
This pays to repair or replace the property that has been stolen, damaged, or destroyed by theft, fire, windstorms, and other covered perils.
|Cash or Other Forms of Currency||Bank notes, bullions, gold or silver (non-jewelry), coins, medals, smart cards, stored value cards.||Most renters insurance policies will only cover up to $200 in stolen cash.|
|Electronic Equipment||Phones (iPhones, Androids), computers, laptops, iPads, earbuds, smart watches, TV sets, gaming systems, Alexa or Google home devices, etc.||Standard renters insurance policies cover the loss or damage of electronic devices.|
|Clothing||Designer purse/handbags, shoes, jewelry, designer watches||Standard renters policies cover your personal clothing or designer handbags etc.|
|Power Tools||Drills & drivers, saws.||Covered under the personal property coverage.|
|Kitchen appliances||Vitamix or NutriBullet blenders, electric mixers, ice makers, coffee machines.||Renters insurance covers personal appliances if they are damaged, stolen, or destroyed by a covered peril.|
|Prescription drugs||Will not cover stolen prescription drugs, but in most cases will cover prescription drug refills.|
|Personal information||Bank accounts, identity information stolen from documents, or stolen personal equipment.||Most companies do not include identity theft as a covered peril in a standard renters insurance policy.|
|Firearms||Pistols, rifles||Firearms are covered under personal property coverage.|
What is a Covered Peril?
Renters insurance protects us from emergencies we couldn’t have predicted or foreseen, such as a covered peril.
A covered peril, also called a named peril, is an event in which the insurer agrees to reimburse you after you file a claim.
Here are the covered perils that are included in a standard renters insurance policy:
- Falling objects
- Electrical surges
- Civil disruption, vandalism, and riots
- Windstorm or hail
- Weight of snow, ice, or sleet
- Accidental discharge of water (such as from a plumbing failure)
What is Actual Cash Value vs. Replacement Cost?
These two terms are critical for you to understand when purchasing renters insurance.
When you sign up for a policy, your insurer will give you the option of actual cash value (ACV) or replacement cost value (RCV).
For RCV, the cost to replace your items usually means what it would cost to replace your damaged or stolen item today.
For example, if your smart TV was stolen and it was five years old, your insurer will purchase a brand-new Smart TV as a replacement.
ACV, on the other hand, factors in depreciation. This means your insurer will only reimburse you for your smart TV's worth when damaged or stolen.
RCV usually comes at a cost in the form of an add-on. Because RCV can be expensive, you should look out for insurers that offer RCV in their standard policies. A few of them are listed here.
How Much Insurance Coverage Should You Get?
The best way to buy coverage or file a claim is to do a home inventory.
Taking inventory of your possessions is necessary if you ever need to make a claim because it allows you to know how much coverage you need.
It’s straightforward. Document all your belongings using photos and come up with the cost of each using receipts or finding similar or identical items online.
While your insurer won’t need the inventory or the photographs when you take out the policy, your documentation will be indispensable if you ever need to file a claim because you will be better able to prove the value of your possessions.
Many people overlook things they use daily, such as clothing, a mattress, a couch, or a Smart TV.
But renters insurance covers them and other types of furniture, entertainment systems, laptops, and related electronics.
In addition, many renters need to pay more attention to the cost of their personal belongings. But doing a home inventory may surprise you with how quickly things can add up.
That’s why a home inventory is so important.
You arrive at the total of how much insurance you would require if you had to replace everything after a fire or flood.
So, if you need extra coverage, you’ll only pay for what you need.
And if you file a claim, you’ll quickly have evidence to make the claims process smooth so that you and your insurer are on the same page.
Finally, when you shop for renters insurance, the quotes you get are based in part on the amount of personal property you have. That’s why it’s also good to take stock.
Do You Need Additional Insurance for High-Value Belongings?
Basic renters insurance pays for personal belongings but only up to the policy limit. So, it’s worth getting additional coverage if those belongings are expensive.
The typical standard renters insurance value cap for high-priced belongings is around $10,000.
So, if you have jewelry or collectibles appraised at $15,000, you’ll have to pay the difference to replace them.
To ensure your jewelry is insured to its total value, you can easily add a rider to your policy, but it will come at an additional cost.
A rider—or endorsement—adds more benefits to your basic renters insurance policy and will give you peace of mind that your jewelry will be fully protected.
What Doesn’t Renters Insurance Cover?
Renters insurance typically does not cover damage to your personal belongings due to floods, earthquakes, or other natural disasters.
You can get additional coverage for these events through a separate policy.
It’s also important to remember that most renters insurance policies do not protect against damages from pests like termites, nor do they cover any kind of business-related losses.
If you plan to use your rental space for a business, you must let your insurance provider know so they can add the appropriate coverage.
Finally, renters insurance may not cover more expensive items like jewelry and electronics—so check with your insurer if there are any limits or exclusions related to these items.
What are the Risks in Alabama?
Flooding in Alabama is the most common natural disaster, and it can typically occur on an average every 12 days or so.
Alabama has a disadvantage because it’s one of the states in the nation with the lowest overall elevation.
The state is also susceptible to severe thunderstorms, tropical storms, and hurricanes.
Luckily, renters in Alabama don’t have to buy extra coverage for these natural disasters because the standard policy covers them.
But flood insurance is something you have to buy.
It is strongly suggested that Alabama residents buy flood insurance because floods are frequent.
However, keep in mind that flood insurance will increase your premium.
We thoroughly researched the state's top renters’ insurance companies and narrowed the list down to those that operated in Massachusetts.
We rated them on criteria that included ease of use, ratings, financial strength, customer, and affordability.
How We Picked the Best Renters Insurance Companies in Alabama
We looked at several factors to determine the best renters insurance companies in Alabama.
If an insurer has many discounts, this makes a premium more affordable for policyholders.
A reputable insurance provider should have a range of policy coverages to cover your needs.
We looked at the basic or standard coverage option, unique features that other insurers didn’t have, and add-ons or riders to ensure your personal belongings would be sufficiently covered after a named peril destroys or damages them.
An insurer with its own website and app makes the process of renting easier.
Technology helps you save time, as a company’s website and app allow you to pay your bill, check on a claim, review policy documents, and more whenever you feel like it.
So, we looked at companies that had functional and robust websites and apps that were easy to use and easy to navigate.
We scoured customer reviews from many trusted sites to see how well a renters insurance company performed. If there were too many negative reviews for a particular insurer, we avoided that company.
You shouldn’t pay high for renters insurance; it’s one of the most affordable ways to get protection. So, we looked at insurers with rates lower than the state and national average.