6 Best Renters Insurance Companies in Nevada 2022
Nevada is a state with a lot of renters, particularly in Las Vegas and surrounding areas, as well as in the suburbs such as Henderson or Spring Valley.
People who rent apartments or houses in Nevada are not required by law to carry renters insurance, but many landlords do require it to protect their own interests.
At Property Nest, we recommend that anyone renting a place to live purchase renters insurance to pay to replace damaged, lost, or stolen property.
With that in mind, here are the best renters insurance companies for Nevada residents, including information about costs, coverage, and available discounts.
Best Renters Insurance Companies in Nevada
- Lemonade: Best for Automated Services
- Liberty Mutual: Best for Discounts on Renters Insurance
- State Farm: Best for Affordable Coverage
- USAA: Best for Military Members
- Amica: Best for Custom Coverage
- Travelers Insurance: Best for Extra Coverage Options
Lemonade: Best for Automated Services
Our first pick for renters insurance in Nevada is relative newcomer Lemonade, which is the company with the best automated and online services.
If you like the ease of getting a renters insurance quote in just a few minutes and getting a claim paid quickly, then Lemonade is a good choice.
Lemonade’s renters insurance is affordable, often costing significantly less than the national average, and there are discounts available to further reduce your costs.
Best of all, Lemonade is a philanthropic company that donates unclaimed money from policyholders to charity every year.
Read a full Lemonade home insurance review.
What Renters Insurance Discounts Are Available with Lemonade?
Lemonade offers two discounts that most renters in Nevada can benefit from if they choose.
- The bundling discount allows for savings if you purchase two or more insurance policies from Lemonade.
- The safety device discount is available for anybody with installed alarms, and since Nevada law requires smoke detectors, everybody can qualify for this discount.
Lemonade has low prices for renters insurance, with premiums starting at an affordable $5 per month for basic coverage and an average cost of $15.
If you opt for additional coverage or live in a high-risk area, you should expect to pay more than the average.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||870|
|NAIC Complaint Index||1.94|
Before you buy renters insurance from Lemonade, you should know the pros and cons as we see them.
Read a full Lemonade Home Insurance Review.
Pros and Cons of Lemonade Renters Insurance
- Lemonade offers quick online quoting in just a few minutes.
- Basic coverage is available for as little as $5 per month.
- You can file claims online or via their app, and some claims are paid instantly.
- Lemonade offers convenient online & mobile customer service.
- Lemonade makes a sizable charitable donation every year.
- As a new company, Lemonade doesn’t have the same strong financial ratings as other companies on our list.
- Discounts are limited.
- May not be ideal for Nevada renters who prefer personal service.
Liberty Mutual: Best for Discounts on Renters Insurance
Liberty Mutual has been providing insurance for over 100 years and has strong financial ratings that reflect its long history.
In addition to providing all the usual coverage you would expect with renters insurance, including money to replace damaged or destroyed items and personal liability, Liberty Mutual offers an array of add-ons.
We chose Liberty Mutual because of their robust list of renters insurance discounts, several of which apply to most renters.
Read a full Liberty Mutual home insurance review.
What Renters Insurance Discounts Are Available with Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual offers five discounts for renters insurance, two of which are going to help almost every renter in Nevada.
- Online purchase. If you buy your renters insurance policy online, you’ll get a discount.
- Bundling discount. Buy two or more policies with Liberty Mutual, and you’ll save on your renters insurance.
- Autopay discount. If you sign up to make your monthly payments automatically, you’ll get a break on your premium.
- Claims-free discount. If you’ve never filed a renters insurance claim, you can save money with Liberty Mutual.
- Early shopper discount. People who already have renters insurance can save by purchasing a policy with Liberty Mutual insurance before their existing policy has expired.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||872|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A|
|NAIC Complaint Index||2.37|
Prices for Liberty Mutual begin at just $5 per month for basic coverage, which makes their coverage one of the most affordable options for people in Nevada.
Read a full Liberty Mutual home insurance review.
Now, let’s review the pros and cons of Liberty Mutual renters insurance.
Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance Pros and Cons
- There are multiple discounts available, including several that most Nevada renters can use.
- Both Actual Cash Value (ACV) and Replacement Cash Value (RCV) coverage is available.
- You can file claims online in just a few minutes.
- Customer support is available 24/7/365.
- The maximum coverage available for renters insurance is $25,000, which may not be enough for some people.
- It may not always be an option to get an online quote.
- Coverage for water damage is not provided.
- Choosing RCV will increase the cost of your policy.
State Farm: Best for Affordable Coverage
State Farm is the largest property & casualty insurance company in the US.
With its long history and strong financial ratings, it’s a good choice for any renter in Nevada who wants to feel confident that their claims will be paid.
State Farm makes our list because its average cost for renters insurance is below the national average, making it an excellent choice for anybody who wants to save money.
They also offer higher coverage limits than some of the other renters insurance companies on our list.
Does State Farm Offer Renters Insurance Discounts in Nevada?
Because of its low average cost, it might surprise you to learn that State Farm offers just two renters insurance discounts.
- Bundling. If you buy auto insurance and renters insurance with State Farm, you’ll get a discount on your premium.
- Alarm & security discount. Nevada landlords are required to install smoke alarms, so that means that every renter in the Silver State can claim this discount.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||866|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A++|
|NAIC Complaint Index||1.77|
The average renters insurance premium for State Farm is just $10 per month, which is 33% less than the national average of $15.
Keep in mind that this average incorporates people with basic coverage and high coverage limits, which is why we chose it as our most affordable company.
Now, let’s review the pros and cons of State Farm renters insurance
State Farm Renters Insurance Pros and Cons
- State Farm is highly rated and has a record of quick claim payments.
- The average cost of a policy with State Farm is just $10 a month.
- High coverage limits are available to those who need them.
- In addition to the typical renters insurance coverage, you can also purchase identity restoration coverage.
- The lowest coverage limit available is $10,000.
- State Farm offers just two discounts for renters insurance.
- The only online support provided is an FAQ on their website.
- 24/7 telephone support is not available.
USAA: Best for Military Members
USAA is an insurance company that got its start providing auto insurance to military service members who needed it.
In business since 1922, the company now offers a full array of insurance coverage, including auto, life, health, and property insurance and renters insurance.
We chose USAA for our list because they offer some unique benefits for military service members, including those in active service as well as veterans and their families.
We also like that they provide built-in flood and earthquake insurance, a rarity in the world of renters insurance.
What Renters Insurance Discounts does USAA Offer?
USAA provides four discounts for renters in Nevada, including one that’s specifically designed to help service members who live on a military base.
- The security discount offers a reduction in premium for anybody who has installed smoke detectors, fire alarms, and burglar alarms.
- The on-base discount provides up to 28% in savings for active-duty military personnel living on base. (Not available in all locations.)
- The bundle discount applies if you purchase both auto and renters insurance.
- The claims-free discount will save you money if you’ve never filed a claim for renters insurance.
Thanks to its generous discounts, the average cost that USAA reports for renters insurance is $10 per month, and as a reminder, that includes built-in flood, earthquake, and replacement value coverage for your belongings.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||893|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A++|
|NAIC Complaint Index||0.88|
Pros and Cons of USAA Renters Insurance
- Earthquake and flood insurance are included in the standard renters insurance policy.
- Coverage defaults to the replacement value of items (not the standard.)
- There is a no-deductible option for damaged military uniforms.
- There are few customer service complaints.
- USAA offers the most affordable coverage for active-duty military members.
- Coverage is available only to military service members and their families.
- The on-base discount is not available in all locations.
Amica: Best for Custom Coverage
Amica Insurance got its start back in 1907, the company has 44 locations in the continental US.
The company provides renters insurance in every state except Alaska and Hawaii.
There are multiple discounts and flexible policy options available, but we chose Amica for our list because they have custom coverage that makes it easy to get the insurance you need.
Amica says that renters insurance costs a little over $4 per week or $13 per month, slightly below the national average.
What Renters Insurance Discounts Are Available from Amica?
Amica offers a total of five potential discounts for renters insurance, including two that are available to everybody.
- The paperless discount gives a break on your premium when you agree to receive your policy and all other communication electronically.
- Signing up for auto payments will earn you a discount.
- Amica rewards loyalty, so if you keep your renters insurance coverage with them for 2+ years, you’ll save on your premium.
- Bundling two or more policies will save you money.
The claim-free discount will reward you if you go three years without filing a claim.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||854|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A+|
|NAIC Complaint Index||0.32|
Pros and Cons of Amica Renters Insurance
- There is no upper limit on personal property coverage.
- The company has a user-friendly website and app.
- It’s easy to add coverage for valuable personal belongings.
- There is a low volume of customer complaints.
- There are multiple discounts available, including the paperless and auto-pay discounts that are available to all.
- Customer support is not available 24/7.
- The website could include better information about covered events.
Travelers Insurance: Best for Extra Coverage Options
Travelers Insurance has been in existence longer than any other company on our list and has a great reputation.
It is the second largest property & casualty insurer in the United States and is part of the Fortune 500, a testament to its financial strength.
We chose Travelers for our list because, in addition to the usual coverage, they offer several unique protections that may appeal to renters in Nevada.
The average cost of renters insurance with Travelers is $17, which is higher than the national average, but some renters may prefer a policy with custom coverages such as ID theft protection and mechanical failure coverage.
What Renters Insurance Discounts Does Travelers Insurance Offer?
There are three discounts available to help Nevada renters save on their renters insurance.
- The protective devices discount applies if you have installed sprinklers or burglar alarms in your rental.
- The multi-policy discount will save you 5% or more if you bundle renters insurance with auto, boat, or umbrella insurance.
- The smart devices discount will save you money on your premium if you have smart technology to alert you of an attempted break-in or a fire in your rental.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||815|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A++|
|NAIC Complaint Index||3.88|
Pros and Cons of Travelers Renters Insurance
- Unique coverage options are available, including identity theft, mechanical failure coverage, and water backup protection.
- Travelers has a well-reviewed mobile app with user-friendly features.
- There are three solid discounts to help reduce your costs.
- Travelers policies cover your belongings against theft anywhere in the world.
- All renters insurance policies are billed and payable on an annual basis.
- The average cost with Travelers is slightly higher than it is with some of the other companies on our list.
- The lowest coverage limit Travelers provides is $30,000, which may be too high for some renters.
How We Ranked and Picked the Best Renters Insurance Companies in Nevada
We chose the companies for our list of the best renters insurance companies in Nevada using the following criteria for evaluation.
We recognize that budgeting is a concern for most renters and that they would appreciate a focus on affordability.
We prioritized insurance companies that offer affordable renters insurance for budget-conscious people.
Everybody loves a discount, and we looked for companies that offer multiple discounts, particularly discounts for auto payments and policy bundling that are accessible to most renters.
Filing a claim can be stressful, and so can navigating policy changes, and we want Nevada renters to have an easy time of it.
We chose companies with a strong record of customer service and particularly those with easy claim-filing processes.
Many of today’s renters prefer online and mobile services to phone calls, and many insurance companies have adapted accordingly.
We chose companies that have mobile apps, web services, customer portals, and online resources for their policyholders.
Every renter is unique, so it’s important to have some flexibility and customization options when buying renters insurance.
Many of the companies we chose offer add-on coverages, deductible options, and different policy limits to suit the needs of renters at every income level.
We've researched renters insurance quotes in major Nevada counties and key cities - Carson City, Churchill County, Clark County, Douglas County. Compared the renters insurance quotes and averages in cities such as Las Vegas, Henderson, Reno, North Las Vegas & Paradise to give you a better picture of how much coverage would cost for your needs.
Why Should You Buy Renters Insurance?
While renters insurance might not be legally required in Nevada, there’s a reason that many landlords ask for proof of insurance – and why we believe every renter should buy it.
Here are the reasons you should buy renters insurance.
- Your landlord’s property insurance covers their property – meaning the structure of the building and any provided contents – not yours.
- Most people do not have sufficient savings to replace all of their belongings if they are lost, damaged, or destroyed.
- Compared to the replacement cost of your belongings, renters insurance is inexpensive.
- Your renters insurance will cover you if someone is injured or their property is damaged in your apartment or rental unit.
- You won’t need to worry if your belongings are damaged or stolen.
- You can easily add coverage for high-cost items such as artwork, jewelry, or electronics.
- Your belongings are covered even when they’re not in your apartment.
- Your renters insurance will pay for your living expenses if you can’t live in your apartment due to a covered event.
In most cases, you’ll pay only about the same each month as you would for a large pizza.
What you get in return is peace of mind about your belongings and the coverage you need to replace them, protect your personal liability, and pay for you to stay somewhere else if your apartment is damaged and you can’t live there.
What Impacts the Cost of Renters Insurance?
There are four factors that can impact what you pay for renters insurance.
Depending on what you own and how much it would cost to replace it, you may decide that minimum coverage is sufficient.
However, if you opt for a higher coverage limit, your premium will increase accordingly.
For many renters, a policy with a high deductible is the right choice because it is less expensive than one with a low deductible.
The area where you rent plays a role in determining how much you can expect to pay for renters insurance.
As a rule, renters in high-risk areas should expect to pay more than those in low-risk areas.
Finally, all of the carriers on our list offer the option of scheduling high-value items and many offer additional coverages – at a cost.
If you choose to augment your coverage beyond the basics, you will pay a higher premium for renters insurance.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover?
Before you begin your search for the right renters insurance policy for your needs, you need to know what’s covered by renters insurance – and what isn’t.
These things are covered.
- Damage or destruction of your personal property. If any of your covered belongings are damaged, lost, or stolen, your insurance will cover either the actual cash value or the replacement cost of the item, depending on the coverage you choose.
- Your personal liability. In the event that someone is injured or their property is damaged while in your apartment, you will be covered up to the policy limit.
- Medical payments. Medical expenses incurred by a guest while in your rental unit are covered on a limited basis.
- Additional living expenses. If your apartment or rental is damaged to the extent that you can no longer live in it, your renters insurance will pay for alternative living arrangements while repairs are made.
Now let’s review what renters insurance will not cover.
- Damage beyond your policy limits. If you sustain losses for more than your policy limit, you will need to pay out of pocket.
- Damage from non-covered events. Every renters insurance policy has exclusions, and if you sustain a loss caused by something that’s not covered, your insurance will not pay for it.
- Loss or damage of uninsured valuables. High-value items must be scheduled separately on your renters insurance policy at an additional cost. If you don’t schedule them, your insurance will not pay to replace them.
When you buy your renters insurance policy, be sure to read everything and ask questions to ensure that you understand what coverage you have.
How Much Renters Insurance Do You Need?
You’ll need to assess the value of your belongings to determine how much coverage you should buy. Make sure to include all of these things.
- Home decor items
- Small appliances & kitchen items
We suggest taking photos of everything and saving your receipts.
Make sure to take the replacement cost of items into consideration because it may be worth paying a little more for insurance to have the peace of mind of knowing you can afford to replace your belongings.
At Property Nest, we recommend renters insurance for anybody renting living space in Nevada.
Remember, your belongings are not protected by your landlord’s insurance, so you should not expect reimbursement if you don’t buy renters insurance.
If you own high-value items, it’s worth it to insure them because you won’t be reimbursed if they’re not scheduled separately on your policy.
To ensure you don’t overpay for renters insurance, we suggest getting at least three quotes and doing what you can to take advantage of available discounts.