7 Best Renters Insurance Companies in Utah of 2023
Utah is the 30th largest state in the United States and home to some of the country’s most spectacular natural wonders, including the Rocky Mountains and Bryce Canyon National Park.
Many residents of the Beehive State rent their homes, living in apartments and houses in major municipalities like Salt Lake City and Sandy or small towns like Park City and Ogden.
Buying renters insurance provides necessary protection in the event that a renter’s belongings are damaged, destroyed, or stolen.
According to PropertyNest research, the average cost of basic renters insurance in Utah is $12.89 per month, below the national average of $17.
Because we recognize that it can be stressful to find renters insurance, we’ve compiled this list of the best renters insurance companies in Utah.
Compare Renters Insurance in UT
Best Renters Insurance Companies in Utah
- Allstate: Best for Retirees in Utah
- Amica: Best for Customer Support
- Travelers Insurance: Best for Customizable Coverage
- State Farm: Best for High Policy Limits
- USAA: Best for Active Duty Military Service Members
- Nationwide: Best for Affordable Coverage
- American Family: Best for Renters Who Have Pets
Allstate: Best for Retirees in Utah
Allstate is one of the biggest insurance companies in the United States, having earned a spot in the Fortune 500–an indication of its financial strength and stability.
We selected them for our list because they are the only company that offers a special discount to make renters insurance affordable for retirees.
We also appreciate the company’s free mobile app and the fact that they offer flood insurance–something that most renters insurance policies do not provide.
The average cost of Allstate renters insurance in Utah is about $11 per month, matching the lowest average cost on our list.
Read a full Allstate renters insurance review.
What Renters Insurance Discounts Does Allstate Offer in Utah?
Utah renters can save on renters insurance with four potential discounts.
- Policy bundling. Buy 2 or more Allstate insurance policies to claim a discount.
- Easy pay. Sign up to make automatic monthly payments to get a break on your premium.
- Safe home. Every Utah renter can take advantage of this discount since smoke detectors are legally required.
- 55 and retired. Allstate offers a discount of up to 25% for renters who are over 55 and retired.
Allstate Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- Allstate has a user-friendly mobile app that can be used to file and track claims.
- There is a special discount to help retirees save on renters insurance.
- Allstate provides a free online tool that can be used to estimate how much coverage you need to buy.
- Endorsements include identity theft protection, flood damage, and coverage for high value items.
- Allstate’s website could be more informative when it comes to coverage options and limits.
- The lowest policy limit available is $25,000, which may be too high for some renters.
- Allstate has a slightly above average volume of customer complaints.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||837|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A+|
|NAIC Complaint Index||2.05|
Amica: Best for Customer Support
Amica has been providing insurance for 115 years, making it the longest-standing company on our list.
We chose Amica as one of the best renters insurance companies in Utah because it has the best customer service that’s available in an array of formats.
We also like that they provide a wide array of riders to customize coverage and have no upper limit for renters insurance policies.
The average cost of Utah renters insurance with Amica is $20 per month, putting it above the state average, but some renters may be willing to pay more for top-notch customer service.
What Utah Renters Insurance Discounts Are Available from Amica?
Amica provides up to five discounts for Utah renters, including three that are accessible to almost everybody.
- Automatic payments. Sign up to make your monthly payments automatically to save.
- Bundling. Buy two or more Amica policies to save.
- Claims-free. If you’ve gone three years without a renters insurance claim, you can get a break on your premium.
- Loyalty. Keep your renters insurance with Amica for 2+ years to get this discount.
- Paperless. Sign up for paperless billing to save.
Amica Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- There are many riders to customize your policy.
- Amica’s website and mobile app are informative and user-friendly.
- Amica’s customer service is excellent and they have received only a quarter of the complaints of other companies the same size.
- You can layer up to five discounts to reduce your premium.
- There’s no upper limit on coverage for your personal property.
- Amica’s customer service is excellent but phone support is not available around the clock.
- Amica’s average cost of renters insurance in Utah is higher than the other companies on our list.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||854|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A+|
|NAIC Complaint Index||0.32|
Travelers Insurance: Best for Customizable Coverage
Travelers Insurance has a long history of providing insurance and paying claims and an excellent reputation that proves the company’s reliability.
We chose them for our list because they offer a wide range of riders with unique protections, so Utah renters can customize their coverage to suit their needs.
We also like that they have useful online resources and services, including a well-designed mobile app.
The average cost of a Travelers renters insurance policy in Utah is $15 per month, which is in line with the national average and slightly higher than the Utah state average.
What Renters Insurance Discounts Does Travelers Insurance Offer in Utah?
There are a total of three potential renters insurance discounts to help Utah renters save on their insurance.
- Bundling. Save 5% or more if you bundle your Travelers renters insurance with auto, boat, or umbrella insurance.
- Protective devices. Get a discount if you have installed sprinklers or burglar alarms in your rental.
- Smart devices. Get a break on your premium if you have smart technology to advise you of a fire or an attempted break-in at your rental.
Travelers Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- Many policy riders are available, including identity theft protection, mechanical failure coverage, and water backup protection.
- There are three discounts available to help Utah renters save money on insurance.
- Travelers has a well-designed and well-reviewed mobile app for policyholders.
- Travelers policies offer theft protection for your belongings anywhere in the world.
- All renters insurance policies must be paid annually in advance.
- The lowest coverage limit available for personal belonging is $30,000.
- Travelers' average cost is slightly higher than the state average for Utah.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||801|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A++|
|NAIC Complaint Index||3.88|
State Farm: Best for High Policy Limits
State Farm issued its first policy in 1922 and has grown to be one of the largest insurance companies in the United States.
We chose State Farm for our list because they offer higher coverage limits than are available with other companies, making them ideal for renters who have a lot of personal items to protect.
We also appreciate that State Farm provides excellent customer service, as typified by its “Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there” commercials.
State Farm’s average cost for Utah renters insurance is $12 per month, putting it below the state and national averages.
Read a full State Farm renters insurance review.
Does State Farm Offer Renters Insurance Discounts in Utah?
State Farm offers two renters insurance discounts for Utah renters, both of which should be accessible to most people.
- Bundling. Bundle your renter's insurance with auto insurance to save.
- Security. Get this discount because your rental unit is legally required to have a smoke detector.
State Farm Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- High policy limits (up to $30,000) are available.
- There are multiple riders to customize your coverage, including ID restoration.
- The average cost is below the state average, coming in at $12 per month.
- State Farm pays claims quickly and receives high scores for customer support.
- There are only two discounts available for renters insurance.
- The lowest policy limit available is $10,000.
- The only online support at this time is FAQ.
- Telephone support is not available 24/7.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||836|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A++|
|NAIC Complaint Index||1.77|
USAA: Best for Active Duty Military Service Members
USAA isn’t available to every Utah renter because it caters to an exclusive group: members of the United States military and their families.
We chose them for our list because they offer exceptional coverage to people who are in the military, including protection for uniforms.
We also like that USAA provides built-in flood insurance, something that’s useful for any military member stationed near a body of water.
USAA’s average cost of Utah renters insurance is $13 per month, putting it slightly below the Utah state average.
What Discounts Does USAA Offer Renters in Utah?
USAA offers a total of four discounts on Utah renters insurance, including one that reduces costs for service members living on a military base.
- Bundling. Bundle your renters insurance with auto or life insurance to save.
- Claims-free. Get a discount if you have never filed a renters insurance claim.
- Security. Save if you have installed smoke detectors or alarms in your rental unit.
- On-base. Certain active duty military members who live on a military base can save up to 28% on renters insurance, but the discount is not available everywhere.
USAA Renters Insurance in Utah Pros & Cons
- USAA’s average cost is lower than the Utah state average.
- Replacement cost coverage (not actual cost) is standard.
- Both earthquake and flood insurance are included.
- The company has received stellar ratings for its customer service and ethical practices.
- There is a zero deductible option to replace damaged military uniforms.
- Coverage is available only to military service members.
- The on-base discount may not be available in all locations.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||886|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A++|
|NAIC Complaint Index||0.88|
Nationwide: Best for Affordable Coverage
Nationwide got its start in Ohio and has been providing insurance coverage since 1926; the company now offers insurance in all 50 states.
We chose Nationwide because of all the carriers we reviewed, they had the lowest monthly cost for Utah renters insurance.
We also like them for their wide range of riders and endorsements and excellent customer service.
The average cost of Nationwide’s renters insurance in Utah is $11 per month, which works out to $132 per year, below the stage average.
What Discounts Does Nationwide Offer for Utah Renters?
Nationwide provides three discounts on renters insurance in Utah, including two that can apply to most renters.
- Bundling. Bundle your Nationwide renters insurance with auto or life insurance to save money.
- Protective devices. You’ll get a discount if your rental unit has an installed smoke detector, which is required by Utah state law.
- Claims-free. You can get a discount if you have never filed a renters insurance claim before.
Nationwide Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- Nationwide has the lowest costs for Utah renters.
- The company offers exceptional customer service.
- They offer a selection of unique riders including reimbursement for spoiled food, credit card protection, and repairs related to code violations.
- There are three discounts available, two of which are accessible to everybody.
- They have a well-reviewed mobile app which is free to all policyholders and can be used to file and track claims.
- Live customer support is not available around the clock, and is only available from 8 AM to 8 PM Eastern time, which may not be ideal for Utah renters.
- There are not as many discounts available as there are with other companies.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||859|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A+|
|NAIC Complaint Index||0.04 (Very Low)|
American Family: Best for Renters Who Have Pets
American Family Insurance has been providing consumers with protection since 1927, when it began selling automobile insurance to farmers.
We selected American Family for our list because we know a lot of Utah renters have pets and American Family is the only company to offer a rider to protect pets and reimburse pet owners for a portion of pet-related expenses.
We also appreciate that the company offers many discounts, including one that rewards policyholders whose parents or grandparents have insurance with American Family.
What Discounts Does American Family Offer Utah Renters?
American Family offers five potential discounts to Utah renters, including one that no other company on our list provides.
- Policy bundling. Buy two or more policies from American Family to get this discount.
- Loyalty. Keep your renters insurance with American Family for over a year to save.
- Generational. Renters between 18 and 30 years of age can save if their parents are also American Family customers.
- Payment discounts. You can get a discount if you sign up for automatic payments, pay annually in advance, or opt for paperless billing.
- Smart devices. Get this discount if you have a smart home device.
American Family Renters Insurance Pros & Cons
- Renters can add up to $1,000 of pet insurance as a rider.
- American Family has received few customer complaints and high ratings for its customer service.
- Utah renters can take advantage of up to five discounts to save on insurance.
- Renters who like personal support will appreciate that American Family sells its renters insurance through registered local agents.
- The average cost of Utah renters insurance is higher than with other companies on our list.
- Coverage is not available directly and must be obtained through agents.
|J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||833|
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A|
|NAIC Complaint Index||0.37|
|Company||PropertyNest Rating||J.D. Power (out of 1,000)||A.M Best Rating||BBB Rating|
Is Renters Insurance Mandatory to Rent an Apartment in Utah?
Renters insurance is not mandatory by law to rent an apartment in Utah, but it is highly recommended.
Some landlords may require you to purchase a renters insurance policy as a condition of your lease agreement.
It is important to read the fine print in any lease you sign to make sure that you understand your landlords expectations for renters insurance coverage.
What is the Average Cost of Renters Insurance in Utah?
The average cost of basic renters insurance in Utah is $12.89 a month, depending on your coverage level.
Your premium will also depend on the type of property you are renting and how much coverage you need to protect your valuable possessions.
Why Should Utah Renters Purchase Renters Insurance?
Utah renters may wonder why or if renters insurance is necessary; we believe it is and here are some of the reasons why.
- Most renters have thousands of dollars worth of personal belongings and renters insurance costs far less than what it would cost to replace everything.
- Your renters insurance policy will protect you even if your personal belongings aren’t in your rental when they’re stolen or destroyed.
- Many Americans don’t have enough money saved to replace their belongings if that should become necessary or to pay to live somewhere else while their rental is repaired.
- Your landlord’s property insurance protects only their property, not the property belonging to their renters.
- You can customize your policy and add additional coverage to protect your high-cost belongings or protect against non-covered events such as earthquake damage.
- Your personal liability will be protected if one of your guests sustains an injury or their property is damaged while in your apartment, plus you’ll get coverage to pay for a portion of their medical expenses.
- Renters insurance provides peace of mind in the event that something happens to damage or destroy your belongings.
The average monthly cost of Utah renters insurance is a little over $11, so that means that you can get protection and peace of mind for just a few dollars each week.
What Factors Impact the Price of Utah Renters Insurance?
We have provided average costs for renters insurance in Utah, but all renters should know that four factors will impact how much they pay for renters insurance.
- Coverage limit. You should choose a coverage limit that provides enough protection to replace all of your belongings; selecting a policy with a high limit or scheduling high-cost art, electronics, or jewelry will add to your total cost.
- Deductible. Every renters insurance policy has a deductible, and choosing a low deductible will increase your premium while opting for a high deductible will decrease your pay.
- Location. Companies price renters insurance according to the risk they take by providing coverage; rentals in low-risk areas will have lower premiums than those in high-risk areas.
- Endorsements & Riders. Endorsements and riders can be used to add additional coverage and customize your policy; every rider comes at a cost that will be added to your total premium.
When you’re comparing costs, make sure to look at the factors you can control, such as your deductible, policy limit, and endorsements, and decide how much coverage you need and how much you’re willing to pay for it.
How Much Renters Insurance Coverage Do You Need in Utah?
We’re often asked how much renters insurance people should buy, and that’s an essential question since you don’t want to be caught without the protection you need.
Since coverage from renters insurance protects personal belongings, we suggest starting with a complete inventory of your belongings that includes these items.
- Small appliances & kitchen gear
- Home decor items
We recommend taking photos of your belongings to document them and maintaining a list that includes the actual cash value (what you paid) and the replacement cost (what it would cost to replace an item) in case you need to file a claim.
Remember that valuable items, including high-cost art, electronics, and jewelry, will need to be scheduled separately.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover in Utah?
Before buying renters insurance, Utah residents should understand what is and isn’t covered by a basic renters insurance policy.
These things are all covered by most renters insurance.
- Destruction, damage, or theft of personal property. Your renters insurance policy will cover your personal belongings if they’re damaged, destroyed, or stolen, whether they are in your apartment or not; you can typically choose between actual cash value and replacement cash value.
- Alternative living expenses. Your policy will provide money for you to stay in a hotel or rent another living space should your apartment be inhabitable due to a covered event.
- Personal liability. Your personal liability is covered if someone either sustains an injury or their belongings are damaged or destroyed while in your rental unit.
- Guest medical coverage. A typical renters insurance policy provides limited coverage for guest medical expenses if someone is injured in your rental.
|Cash or Other Forms of Currency||Bank notes, bullions, gold or silver (non-jewelry), coins, medals, smart cards, stored value cards.||Most renters insurance policies will only cover up to $200 in stolen cash.|
|Electronic Equipment||Phones (iPhones, Androids, etc.), computers, laptops, iPads, earbuds, smart watches, TV sets, gaming systems, Alexa or Google home devices, etc.||Standard renters insurance policies cover the loss or damage of electronic devices.|
|Clothing||Designer purse/handbags, shoes, jewelry, designer watches||Standard renters policies cover your personal clothing or designer handbags etc.|
|Power Tools||Drills & drivers, saws.||Covered under the personal property coverage.|
|Kitchen appliances||Refrigerators, microwaves, blenders, electric mixers, ice makers, coffee machines, and other appliances.||Renters insurance covers personal appliances if they are damaged, stolen, or destroyed by a covered peril.|
|Prescription drugs||Will not cover stolen prescription drugs.|
|Personal information||Bank accounts, identity information stolen from documents, or stolen personal equipment.||Most companies do not include identity theft as a covered peril in a standard renters insurance policy.|
|Firearms||Pistols, rifles||Legal firearms are covered under personal property coverage.|
These things are typically not covered by renters insurance.
- Non-covered events. Renters insurance covers many things but excludes events, including personal negligence and flood damage.
- Unscheduled valuables. Any high-value items, including such things as electronics, art, and jewelry, must be scheduled separately; there’s an additional cost, and any items that aren’t scheduled won’t be covered.
- Damage over the policy limit. Your renters policy limit expresses the maximum amount that you will receive after a covered event.
Be sure to read through your policy before signing it and ask questions to clarify what’s covered and what isn’t.
At PropertyNest, we recommend that every Utah renter purchase enough insurance to replace their belongings in the event of a total loss.
Remember, your landlord’s property insurance only covers their property, not yours, so buying renters insurance is the best way to protect yourself.
Utah renters who live near a body of water may want to consider buying Flood Insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program, since most renters insurance companies carve out flood insurance and will not pay for damage that results from a flood.
You should obtain a minimum of three quotes from three different insurance companies to compare coverage and costs, and make sure to take advantage of as many discounts as possible to reduce your costs.
We thoroughly researched the state's top renters’ insurance companies and narrowed the list down to those that operated in Utah.
We rated them on criteria that included ease of use, ratings, financial strength, customer, and affordability. Read our full in-depth renters insurance methodology.
How We Selected the Best Renters Insurance Companies in Utah
Choosing a renters insurance company can be stressful, so we’ve done the homework for you.
Here are the most important criteria we used to choose the best insurance companies for Utah renters.
We find that most renters list cost as a top concern when shopping for renters insurance, so we made it a point to include companies whose rates are in line with or lower than the state average in Utah.
Since cost matters, we focused on companies that provide two or more discounts on renters insurance, particularly those with discounts that apply to most renters in Utah.
Coverage typically differs from company to company, so we focused on renters insurance carriers that offer a wide array of coverage options for their basic policy as well as endorsements to help Utah renters customize their coverage.
Customer support and service is an essential factors when buying any insurance, so we chose companies with a long history of reliable customer service, particularly when it comes to filing and tracking claims.
Online & Mobile Services
Many renters prefer to use online and digital tools to shop for insurance and file claims, so we selected companies with informative and user-friendly websites, accessible online services, and free mobile apps for policyholders.