9 Best Pet Insurance Companies in New York of 2022
Your dog or cat can have accidents or get sick just like humans do.
Even one unexpected visit to the vet can blow your budget away, often costing thousands of dollars for an emergency visit.
And even if your vet visit is just for an annual check-up, you’ll still pay a lot in out-of-pocket costs.
New Yorkers love their pets but living in a busy and crowded city that means that your pet's chances of injuries and incidents might be higher.
Upstate New York has lots of wild animals, brush and rough terrain which also might make your pet more likely to run into health or physical problems.
Regardless of if you live in Manhattan, Albany, Ithaca, Rochester, or the Catskills, you want to ensure that your pet is well cared for when sick or injured, pet insurance can give you peace of mind by covering a percentage of the cost and leaving you to pay as little as possible after you meet the deductible.
But finding the insurer that best suits your need can be difficult.
You’ll have to cut through many exclusions and you may have to pay additionally if you want your pet to get wellness care.
We’ve put together a list of best pet insurance companies in New York ranked by category to give you an idea of what’s out there.
Best Pet Insurance in New York
- Lemonade: Best Pet Insurance for Necessary Add-Ons
- Wagmo: Best Pet Insurance for 100% Reimbursement
- Fetch By the Dodo: Best Pet Insurance for Covering Older Pets
- Odie Pet Insurance: Best Pet Insurance for Easy Claims Process
- MetLife/PetFirst Pet Insurance: Best Pet Insurance For Discounts
- Pet Assure: Best Pet Insurance Alternative for Pre-Existing Conditions
- Spot: Best Pet Insurance for Customizable Plans
- Nationwide: Best Pet Insurance for Exotic Animals
- Pumpkin Pet Insurance: Best Pet Insurance Overall
Lemonade: Best Pet Insurance for Necessary Add-Ons
Lemonade's stand-out feature compared to other insurance companies is there employment of technology, starting from their quoting system to their claims submission.
In addition, Lemonade’s pet insurance is known for its comprehensive accident and illness plan, spectacular preventative care options, affordable premium costs, and an all-AI service with a website and app that saves you time.
However, Lemonade’s pet insurance premiums can be higher in certain geographical locations such as New York due to not just cost of care but also higher frequency of incidents such as getting hit by a car.
- According to Lemonade, most pet claims are reimbursed in minutes.
- It’s also known for its add-on coverage, which includes the following:
- Vet visits are covered. This helps you pay for exam fees when you visit a vest.
- Physical therapy treatments such as acupuncture care.
- The insurer offers two plans for preventive care:
The affordable plan covers a wellness exam, a fecal test, three vaccines, a heartworm test, as well as a blood test.
The more expensive plan covers everything in the affordable plan and adds coverage for flea, tick, and heartworm medications and routine dental cleaning.
Lemonade Pet Insurance Discounts
- Multi-Policy Discount: If you bundle pet insurance with Lemonade’s home or renters insurance policy, you’ll get 10% off your rate.
- Upfront Discount: If you pay your premium annually rather than monthly, you can save 5% on your policy.
Pros and Cons of Lemonade Pet Insurance
- Offers extra preventive care treatments for puppies and kittens under 2 years old.
- Waiting period is two days for accidents, which is shorter than other insurers.
- Reimbursement rates are 70-90%.
- Deductibles are between $100 and $500, the industry standard.
- Website and app allow you to take care of all your pet insurance needs without having to talk to an agent.
- All AI saves you time and is convenient.
- Not available nationwide, excluding 15 states.
- Requires complete records from a recent veterinary exam for your pet to qualify for coverage
- Doesn’t offer coverage for pets over 14 years old.
- Doesn’t cover dental cleanings or spay/neuter procedures.
- The $12 per month quote cited by Lemonade is likely available only in select locations.
- The only insurer that has made insuring long-haired breeds more costly.
- Pricing is determined by breed.
|NAIC Complaint Index||2.90|
Wagmo: Best Pet Insurance for 100% Reimbursement
Wagmo offers wellness plans rather than the traditional pet insurance policy. The wellness plan is like a membership plan, and this means that Wagmo will cover eligible day-to-day essential coverage as well as preventative care.
What’s more, Wagmo is that very rare insurer that offers 100% reimbursement for its wellness pet insurance claims.
After you meet the deductible, you receive a reimbursement for 100% of what you paid for at the vet for things you have coverage for under your policy.
The highest percentage off you usually get from other insurers is 90%
Wagmo is also a popular choice because it is one of the few plans that guarantee a 24-hour turnaround on reimbursements.
In other words, you get your reimbursement within one day of filing your claim.
Again, this is exclusive to Wagmo because other similar pet policies take between 8 to 10 business days to reimburse you.
Here are some features to consider before purchasing Wagmo insurance for your pet.
- Average claims processing time is 24 hours meaning turnaround is pretty fast.
- Wagmo has a choice of deductible tiers: Your choice between $500, $750, or $1,000.
- Benefit have limits: A lifetime limit of $100,000 and a per-incident limit of $10,000.
- Options available for all health and need levels.
- Mid-range pricing; website claims average premium cost is $44.89 per month.
- 15-day waiting period
- No unlimited coverage option.
Wagmo Pet Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Pet Policy: If you insure more than one pet, you get 10% off your premium.
- Claims-Free Discount: You can save up to 15% if you renew your policy for another year if you filed no claims in the previous year.
Pros and Cons of Wagmo Pet Insurance
- Offers single pet insurance plan and/or choice of three wellness plans.
- Wellness plans include routine health care and preventative medicine.
- No waiting period to begin coverage for wellness plans.
- Can choose your own vet.
- No deductibles on wellness plans.
- Reimbursement claims can be filed easily online.
- Available nationwide for wellness plans.
- Requires a 12-month commitment.
- Cancellation fees if you cancel after the 24-hour grace period.
- Less customization on its insurance plan.
- Pet insurance and wellness plan have complicated limits.
- Need to pay entire premium upfront.
- Has yet to expand its traditional pet insurance to a majority of the country.
|Better Business Bureau (BBB)||B-|
Fetch By the Dodo: Best Pet Insurance for Covering Older Pets
Fetch by the Dodo offers many things that other insurers charge extra for or don’t cover at all.
One of the most important features is that they do not deny coverage for any old age-related reason.
Older pets are prone to more accidents and illnesses which can be costly for insurance companies. To reduce this risk most pet insurance companies will not cover new pets over a certain age limit.
However, if you enroll a pet six years of age or older, your pet will first need a veterinary exam within the 30 days before or after the policy start date.
For those pets who are younger, they only need to have been examined by a vet within the last twelve months.
To reduce any coverage problems, it’s best to enroll your pet when it’s young or when it is healthy.
That way, if your cat or dog gets sick, or if they get in an accident, your pet will be covered by your policy.
However, if your pet is six years or older and dies of an illness, Fetch will not reimburse you for your pet’s death.
- The average claims processing time is 15 days
- Complete sick visits are covered, as well as exam fees. A sick visit can be costly, so this coverage can save you a hundred dollars or more.
- Fetch covers injury and disease in every adult tooth—not just the canines.
- Fetch also includes coverage for hereditary conditions for specific breeds, which other companies often exclude.
- No Denied Coverage
Fetch by the Dodo Pet Insurance Discounts
- Payments: If you pay your premium quarterly or annually, you’ll get a discount.
- Claims-Free: You can save up to 30% off your premium if you don’t file a claim for a period dictated by Fetch.
- AARP Member Discount: If you are a member of AARP, you may qualify for up to 10% off your premium.
- Shelter and Rescue Adopters: Save 10% off your premium if you adopt a pet from a shelter or rescue.
- Veterans and Active Military: 10% off if you are an active or retired service member. Your family is included.
- Support Pets: You can save an additional 10% off if you have a licensed medical services pet.
Pros and Cons of Fetch Pet Insurance
- Affordable rates.
- No exclusions for age or hereditary conditions.
- Discount available for puppies.
- Coverage customizable to make policy even more affordable.
- Various options can be selected for max annual payout, deductible, and reimbursement.
- Longer waiting period for accidents compared to other insurers.
- Limited offerings and services.
- No wellness options.
- No helpline.
|Better Business Bureau (BBB)||A+|
Odie Pet Insurance: Best Pet Insurance for Tech-Savvy Owners
Odie Pet Insurance caters to the tech-savvy and, in so doing, makes purchasing a policy easy and quick.
You can purchase Odie Pet Insurance exclusively online using the insurer’s website.
In addition, you can get your policy documents within minutes of checking out.
Odie Pet also has a 24/7 self-service portal where you can view your account information, track and manage claims, and even insure more pets.
And for those who aren’t tech-forward, you can submit claims not only online, but also by mail, fax, and email.
Whatever works for you, Odie makes the claim process easy.
- The average time in which claims are processed is 4-5 days.
- More affordable than many competitors.
- All breeds are covered.
- Some dental coverage is provided.
- Accident-only, accident and illness, and routine care coverage options are offered.
Odie Pet Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Pet Discount: If you enroll multiple pets, you get a 5% discount.
Pros and Cons of Odie Pet Insurance
- No age restrictions.
- Website claims that plans are 15% to 30% cheaper than other insurers.
- 24/7 Televet chat with AskVet.
- Easy and affordable customizable plans.
- Policies don’t increase because you use them.
- Wellness coverage available as add-on.
- Your choice for licensed vets and emergency vet hospitals in US.
- Doesn’t offer an unlimited payout limit option.
- Accident-Only plan has less flexible terms.
- Pet owners must pay out-of-pocket for prescription medication, office visits, acupuncture, chiropractic, and rehab coverage.
- Bilateral and behavioral conditions excluded.
- Charges $2 transaction fee for each payment processed.
- Coverage not available in six states.
- Alternative and holistic therapy excluded.
MetLife/PetFirst Pet Insurance: Best Pet Insurance For Discounts
MetLife, also known as PetFirst in a handful of states, has a lot going for it.
It’s your choice to pick any licensed vet or emergency clinic you want, although you can only do this in the U.S.
You can also receive up to 100% reimbursement for covered events.
In addition, there are no breed exclusions with MetLife, and you don’t need an initial exam or previous vet records to purchase a pet policy.
And if your pet is at least eight weeks old, that means you can insure your pet at any time you want.
But what stands out is MetLife’s discounts, of which there are many.
Some are multi-pet, animal care, discount for the military and healthcare workers, and if you don’t file a claim in a year, the insurer will automatically decrease your deductible by $25 or $50.
- The average Claims Processing time is 10 days.
- Some pre-existing conditions can be covered if insurance is offered through an employer
- Covers common ligament injury and disc disorders only after 6 months of coverage.
- MetLife is an old national insurance company which means more robust financials and experience in the insurance industry.
- Grief counseling available
- Ability to rollover health benefits from previous year
MetLife Pet Insurance Discounts
- Vet and Animal Care Employees: 10% off for these workers.
- Active Military, Veteran, and First Responder: Military personnel and first responders qualify for a discount.
- Payment: Paying annually rather than monthly means a $3 transaction fee will be waived.
- Multi-Pet: A second policy for a pet gives you a 5% discount. And a third policy gives you a 10% discount.
- Claims-Free: For each year your pet stays claims-free, you can get $25 off your deductible automatically.
- Internet Purchase Discount: You save $10 off your first payment if you buy a policy online.
Pros and Cons of MetLife PetFirst Insurance
- Almost no waiting period for coverage for accidents.
- Covers hereditary issues for certain breeds, which most insurers do not.
- Eligible customers receive discount for working in animal field (vets or shelter workers, etc.)
- Employer affiliations and certain groups get discounts.
- Many add-on coverages and customizable policies.
- Wellness plans available for extra cost; not always offered by pet insurers.
- You get to pick your vet.
- Six-month waiting period for some coverages.
- No option for an unlimited annual benefit.
- Poor claims process.
- Claims not being approved.
- Large price increases from year to year.
- Lack of good communication with agents.
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A+|
|NAIC Complaint Index||0.64|
Pet Assure: Best Pet Insurance Alternative for Pre-Existing Conditions
Pet Assure is one of the most popular pet insurance alternatives on the market.
It’s not a traditional insurance plan like the ones we chose on our list.
Rather, it’s a discount service program, so rather than paying a monthly premium to a pet insurer, you instead enroll in a membership fee program in exchange for reduced-price services.
That’s usually a 25% discount on almost all of the services your vet provides, but keep in mind your vet must participate in the Pet Assure discount program.
But the one benefit that stands out is that Pet Assure covers pets with pre-existing condition. And that’s because there is no pet insurance out there that takes on pets with pre-existing conditions.
Pre-existing conditions mean your policy won’t reimburse you for issues your dog or cat had before you enrolled in a policy.
So, older pets, who often have numerous health issues, will be covered.
This is a game changer for the pet industry, and it also saves you money.
Average Claims Processing Time: No insurance claims required
What’s Included in Pet Assure Discounts
Participating Pet Assure veterinary practices will give you a 25% discount on all medical care provided in the office by the vet staff. This includes:
- Dental cleanings
- Dental exams and X-rays
- Sprays and Neuters
- Routine Care
- Cancer Care
- Wellness Visits
- Surgical Procedures
- Emergency Care
Pros and Cons of Pet Assure
- Absolutely no exclusions; every medical condition covered.
- No exclusions on exotic animals.
- No age limitations.
- No claim ever denied.
- No waiting periods, deductibles, or annual limits.
- Offers a 45-day money-back guarantee
- Must be covered through employer--No individual enrollment
- Not an insurance plan.
- Low reimbursement percentage.
- Limited network size.
- Doesn’t cover prescriptions.
|Better Business Bureau (BBB)||A+|
Spot: Best Pet Insurance for Customizable Plans
Spot Pet Insurance began in 2019, and while it is relatively new, it has garnered gushing reviews on many pet insurance websites.
Spot stands out for having the most customizable plan options compared with similar insurers. It has two standard plan options that give pet owners some options.
This covers accidents such as injuries, swallowed objects, and toxic ingestions. This plan is for those who are on a budget and only need coverage for emergencies. Since the plan is so cheap, it doesn’t cover illnesses or other conditions.
This plan is more expensive than the accident-only plan, but you get comprehensive coverage if your pet experiences an accident or illness.
Included in this plan is everything that the cheaper plan offers plus more.
It covers general illnesses, behavioral issues, dental disease, hip dysplasia, heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
Plus, pet owners are also able to purchase additional two tiers of preventative care coverage, which can cover vet exams, deworming, spaying/neutering, dental cleanings, microchipping, and vaccinations.
- Average claims processing time is 14 days but can be sooner for claims regarding routine visits and treatment.
- Alternative therapies, therapeutic diets and supplements are covered.
- Comprehensive preventative coverage available.
- Easy online claims submission.
- Chronic conditions, hereditary and congenital disorders, and behavioral issues are covered.
Spot Pet Insurance Discounts
- Employee Discounts: Spot gives a 10% discount for employees at companies that enroll in its pet insurance benefits program.
- Multi-Pet Discount: 10% discount for each additional pet on your policy.
- New Enrollee Discount: If you choose Spot as your pet insurance, you may get a $25 Amazon gift card.
Pros and Cons of Spot Pet Insurance
- Unlimited annual coverage option for those who don’t want limited maximum payouts.
- No age limit for older pets, unlike some comparable insurers.
- Comes standard for microchip implantation and exam fees, which aren’t typically covered by other insurers.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- No customer service on weekends.
- Accidental-Illness plan significantly higher than Accidental-Only plan.
|Better Business Bureau (BBB)||A|
Nationwide: Best Pet Insurance for Exotic Animals
Nationwide’s pet insurance is the only one that covers exotic animals, which comparable companies do not.
The company’s avian and exotic pet coverage option is for small mammals and birds.
Other exotic animals are also covered, such as reptiles, small mammals, and even goats and pot-bellied pigs.
Nationwide is best because it offers comprehensive insurance for unconventional pets or pets often excluded in other policies.
However, some animals are excluded, such as venomous or endangered species.
- Claims get processed on average from 9-12 days.
- Coverage is offered to a wide variety animals some even that are not considered legal in certain states.
- Unlimited lifetime benefits option available.
- Live Vet Helpline available to all its members.
- Holistic and alternative treatments are covered.
- Offers three-tiered plans but a la carte coverage is also an option.
Nationwide Pet Insurance Discounts
- Existing Customers: If you have other insurance with Nationwide, such as home and auto, you qualify for a 5% discount on your pet insurance.
- Multiple Pets: Insuring more than one pet can get you a 5% discount.
- Preferred Pricing: If your employer partners with Nationwide to offer pet insurance as part of its optional benefits package, you’ll get a discount on your policy.
Pros and Cons of Nationwide Insurance
- Also covers ferrets, conures, tegus, and even water dragons.
- Doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions.
- Pet owners can select a reimbursement level of up to 90% of eligible expenses.
- Those with other Nationwide policies save 5% on pet insurance coverage.
- Visit any licensed vet, specialist, or emergency care provider anywhere in the world.
- Free 24/7 vet helpline.
- Spay or neuter surgery not covered.
- 12-month waiting period for coverage some common ligament and knee injuries in dogs.
|A.M. Best - Financial Strength Rating||A+|
Pumpkin Pet Insurance: Best Pet Insurance Overall
Although Pumpkin Pet debuted a few years ago, it has already garnered great customer reviews for what they offer that most other insurers don’t.
Pumpkin has a waiting period of just 14 days for all conditions, including hip dysplasia and knee injuries, as well as general illnesses and accidents.
Other insurers have a six-month waiting period, particularly if your dog has knee and ligament issues.
For pets who have arthritis or chronic pain, a vet may offer you alternative therapies, such as acupuncture, stem cell therapy, and behavioral therapy.
Most insurers do not cover the above therapies, but Pumpkin does, as long as any treatments are accepted by, and performed by, a licensed vet.
Most insurers don’t cover pets 14 years or older and often limit your reimbursement percentage. But Pumpkin Pet doesn’t exclude elderly pets and has a flat 90% reimbursement for all pets regardless of their age.
Many insurers will not pay for your dog’s illness or injury if they deem that these things could have been prevented.
But Pumpkin Pet will pay for such services.
In addition, the insurer also doesn’t require a vet exam before offering coverage.
- Average claims processing time is 14 days.
- One of the most comprehensive coverage list.
- 90%-100% reimbursement makes it one of the highest in the industry.
- Some pre-existing conditions will be covered if they are curable.
- Shorter waiting periods.
Pumpkin Pet Insurance Discounts
- Multi-Pet: Offers a 10% discount for each pet added to your policy.
Pros and Cons of Pumpkin Pet Insurance
- Covers behavioral issues, hereditary conditions, chronic diseases, and dental problems, which other insurers don’t offer.
- Optional coverage for preventative care at low cost, with 100% reimbursement for vaccines and annual wellness exams.
- Website allows you to compare pet insurance options with competitors' plans.
- Available in all 50 states.
- Choose any licensed vet in US and adds on Canada.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- No online veterinary help or guidance to policyholders.
- Doesn't cover spaying or neutering.
- Some customer complaints of denied coverage.
|Better Business Bureau (BBB)||F|
How We Picked the Best Pet Insurance Companies
We did so by emphasizing on discounts, coverages, and pricing,
Most pet insurance companies offer limited discounts. We chose those that had enough discounts to make a dent in your premium.
Since each pet is unique, coverages should be tailored to match a pet’s specific needs. The insurers that made our list had comprehensive and customizable coverages.
To keep costs down, we chose companies that had discounts to lower your policy and have reimbursement rates of 80% to 90%.
With a high reimbursement rate, visits to vets always will be paid by your pet insurance and the percentage not covered will be negligible to you.
What is Pet Insurance in New York?
Much like human health insurance, pet insurance covers the cost of medical care.
For example, if your dog gets sick or if your cat is injured, pet insurance can help you pay for these ailments.
Pet insurance offers peace of mind. It decreases the financial burden when an insurer can cover some of your pet costs up to the particular plan limit.
It is the best way to save on expensive pet insurance bills, which can cost thousands of dollars when your pet gets into an accident or has an illness.
Even if your pet is young and healthy, your pet may have genetic tendencies or behavioral issues that may require you to visit a vet.
Most New York pet owners think of their pets as their best friends and part of the family. You want your dog or cat to live long and be healthy.
That’s why we recommended pet insurance.
What are the Plans for Pet Insurance Policies?
There are two plans that pet insurers offer.
And then there is a wellness plan that you have to add on to your coverage and which you have to pay extra for.
Pet insurance for accidents is the most basic plan, and the cheapest.
The accident-only plan covers any medical care for unexpected injuries to your pet.
An accident that is covered is when your pet is injured after it gets hit by a car and which may result in broken bones and physical injuries.
Also, this policy can be crucial to have if your cat swallows a toy and needs surgency.
But if your pet gets sick, this plan does not cover illnesses.
The Accident-Illness Plan
The accident-illness plan is the most common plan that pet owners buy. It often covers both accidents and unexpected illnesses. The illness coverage covers treatments for viral infections, parasites, hip dysplasia, and tooth extraction due to dental diseases.
However, this plan won’t cover preventive care or pre-existing conditions.
But the good thing is that you can get reimbursed for almost everything when you combine both plans.
Most accident and illness plans cover the following:
- Surgery, like cruciate ligament tears, cataracts, and more.
- Tests like x-rays, blood tests, MRIs, ultrasounds, and other diagnostic tests.
- Emergency care or emergency exam fees.
- Treatment for illnesses like cancer or infections.
- Unexpected illnesses like broken bones.
- Prescription medication
Wellness or Preventative Coverage
Wellness is not considered pet insurance. It is a plan that you most likely will have to buy as an add-on to your policy.
Wellness plans cover routine care, blood work, dental care, preventative care, deworming, spraying or neutering surgery, checkups, and yearly vaccines.
The plan helps you make your insurance more comprehensive, but it does not cover accidents or illnesses.
If you go with the accident and illness plan, note that it rarely provides wellness coverage.
A wellness plan can make your rate more expensive. But if you anticipate taking your cat to the vet at least once a year for an exam or vaccination and don’t want to pay out-of-pocket, then this plan is for you.
What Is Not Covered in Pet Insurance?
Pet insurance has many exclusions. In fact, its exclusions far outweigh covered conditions.
Pet insurance does not cover spraying/neutering, wellness exams, and vaccinations. Listed below are some common exclusions.
There is a waiting period—usually between 10 to 30 days—in which there is no coverage for your pet after you buy a policy.
Preexisting Medical Conditions
The most common exclusion is the preexisting medical condition. This means that if your pet has a medical history, whatever it includes won’t be covered.
Note that nearly all pet policies will exclude coverage for pets with pre-existing conditions.
The second most common exclusion is when both sides of your pet’s body suffer from hip dysplasia, cruciate ligament issues, or cataracts.
Bilateral condition is usually covered, but if your pet has already developed a condition on one side of its body before your pet was insured, most policies will not cover this medical problem.
If your negligence causes you to not get your pet vaccinated for a preventable disease and then your pet gets that disease, the treatment will often be excluded from your policy.
Preventable diseases include canine influenza, kennel cough, giardia, and parvovirus.
If a certain breed of your pet is susceptible to certain medical conditions like diabetes or ligament injuries, the pet will most certainly be excluded.
However, you can get breed pet coverage as an add-on with your insurer, but at an astronomical price.
Most pet insurance policies will not cover a pet younger than eight weeks of age and older than 14 years or even older.
And even if you find coverage for your older pet, note that your policy will keep going up the older the pet gets.
Elective procedures are usually not covered. These include anal gland expression and removal, tail docking, ear cropping, nail trimming, feline declawing, and dewclaw removal.
How Much Does Pet Insurance Cost in New York?
Pet insurance has high rates in New York due to unsafe locations and busy streets.
For a healthy two-year-old dog that has its home in the 10001 zip code—one of the most expensive locations in New York—pet insurance can cost as low as $40 per month or higher, at just under $100 per month.
The cost of a policy depends on not just your zip code, but also the breed of your pet, its age, and its medical history.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Most pet insurers allow you to choose a licensed vet for treatment. This way, you don’t need to worry about whether the vet is “in network.”
Pet payment is like this. You pay the vet bill upfront, and then you get reimbursed after you submit your receipt to the insurer.
If you are on a budget, you should look at those insurers that can reimburse your vet directly so you don’t have to pay for up-front costs that you may not be able to afford.
Then you can make a claim with your insurer by showing your receipts.
After your insurer approves your claim, they will send you a check or deposit the money into your bank account.
Reimbursement funds are often issued within 5-7 days after the insurer receives your claim.
For example, what if your reimbursement level is 80% and your claim is for $1,000.
Your insurer will end up paying $800 and you will only have to pay $200.
It should be stressed that you also must pay your deductible every time you file a claim.
The most common deductible amounts are $100, $200, and $500.
Are There Factors That Can Affect My Pet Insurance?
Below are a few factors that could affect how much of your vet bill your insurer will cover.
Maximum payout limits are the amount of money the pet insurance company will reimburse you.
Three payout limits are as follows:
Maximum Payout Per Incident
This is the maximum amount of money your insurer will reimburse you for each new illness or injury. After you reach this limit, you will no longer be reimbursed to cover that particular injury or illness.
Maximum Annual Payout
This is the maximum amount of money the insurer will reimburse you each policy year. After you reach this limit, you will no longer get any payouts during that policy year.
Maximum Lifetime Payout
This is the maximum amount of money your insurer will reimburse you during the lifetime of your pet. After you reach this limit, your pet will no longer be covered.
A deductible is the amount you pay out-of-pocket before your pet insurance starts paying.
In most cases, the deductible is applied annually.
Some insurers allow you to choose the deductible you want on your policy.
If you decide to pay lower monthly premiums, you can set your deductible as high as you can afford.
The higher the deductible, the lower your premium costs will be.
If you want your insurer to pay for every bill, you can choose a $0 deductible.
However, doing so means your premiums will be prohibitively expensive.
Reimbursement rates refer to the percentage of costs an insurer will reimburse.
Many insurers allow you to choose the percentage.
If you opt for a higher reimbursement rate, more of your pet’s visits to a vet will be paid by your insurer.
The reimbursement level is taken as a percentage. The best pet insurance plans have a reimbursement of 80% to 90% of your total vet bills.
In certain cases, the reimbursement rate is 100%, which means you will no longer have to pay for coverage.
For example, Wagmo offers 100% of coverage and is one of the few plans that guarantee a 24-hour turnaround on reimbursements.
In other words, you get your reimbursement within one day of filing your claim.
Waiting periods refer to the amount of time your pet insurance requires you to wait until your pet is eligible for reimbursement on specific conditions.
But if your pet is injured from an accident, the policy will kick in almost immediately, around just a few days.
Note that the waiting period for illness coverage is often longer, between 14 or 15 days.
However, some waiting periods take several months and up to a year if your pet has orthopedic problems.