7 Best Home Warranty Companies in Arizona 2023
Homeowners in Arizona have the same concerns as homeowners everywhere, including the worry that they’ll need to come up with thousands of dollars to pay to repair or replace major appliances or home systems.
Whether you live in a large city such as Phoenix or Tucson or a small town such as Apache Junction or Fountain Hills, you may want to consider purchasing a home warranty to simplify your budgeting and protect you from the failure of your home’s systems or appliances.
Home warranty coverage can dovetail with your Arizona homeowners insurance, protecting some of the things that your other insurance won’t cover.
Nationwide, the average cost for a basic home warranty is about $50 per month, but you should expect to pay more for comprehensive or add-on coverage.
At PropertyNest, we believe finding the right home warrant should be easy, so we have done the research for you and chosen the six best home warranty companies in Arizona.
Best Home Warranties in Arizona
- American Home Shield: Cheapest Basic Plan
- Select Home Warranty: Best For Roof Coverage
- First American Home Warranty: Best For Protecting Appliances
- Liberty Home Guard: Best For Unique Coverage Add-Ons
- ARW: Best Reputation and Customer Service
- Home Warranty of America: Best For Energy Efficient Upgrades
- America’s First Choice: Best For Choosing Your Own Technician
American Home Shield: Cheapest Basic Plan
American Home Shield is one of the oldest home warranty companies, operating continuously for over 50 years.
Not only are they highly experienced in protecting their customers, but they also offer some of the lowest rates in the business.
Coverage starts as low as $20 a month in Arizona, depending on where you're located and the size of your home. Their ShieldSilver, or most basic plan, covers a lot for just $20.
It includes heat/cooling systems with ductwork, electrical systems including extras like garage door openers, and plumbing and accessories, which even covers whirlpool components (usually an add-on at other companies).
What Coverage Options Does American Home Shield Offer?
American Home Shield offers three tiers.
- ShieldSilver: Covers heating and cooling systems plus accessories, electrical systems plus accessories, and plumbing systems plus accessories.
- ShieldGold: Covers everything from Silver to kitchen and laundry appliances.
- ShieldPlatinum: This covers everything from Gold plus roof coverage, a free A/C tune-up, and unlimited coverage for items like refrigerants and code violations.
AHS also offers add-ons like in-ground spas, septic/well pumps, etc., although pricing on these is unclear. You can also purchase a monthly plan to cover electronics for $14.
How Much Do AHS's Plans Cost?
American Home Shield's basic plan--ShieldSilver starts at around $20 a month for Arizona residents. The cost can be much higher for specific types of properties and areas, so it's important to get a personalized quote.
|Service fee||Tiered: $75, $100, $125|
Pros and Cons of American Home Shield
- Lowest starting cost in Arizona.
- No limit on amount spend to repair systems.
- Long history of service.
- Pricing isn't completely transparent with add-ons.
- Few add-on options.
Select Home Warranty: Best For Roof Coverage
Select Home Warranty was founded in 2012 and offers home warranty coverage in all 50 states, making it one of the most accessible home warranty companies around.
We chose them for our list because their prices are affordable and basic coverage includes free roof leak coverage, something that’s not included in basic warranties from most other companies.
Roof leaks and other roof issues can be among the most expensive home components to get repaired.
If you know that your roof is likely to develop issues in the future then Select is your best bet for automatic coverage with any of their plans.
We also like that they offer three plan tiers and a discount for loyalty, since discounts for this type of coverage are rare.
What Coverage Options Does Select Home Warranty Offer?
Select Home Warranty offers three plan tiers, as follows.
- Bronze. If you purchase the Bronze tier, you’ll get home warranty coverage for your appliances.
- Gold. Purchase the Gold tier to get a home warranty that covers your home’s systems, such as HVAC and plumbing.
- Platinum. The platinum tier provides coverage for both appliances and home systems.
Select has a few add-on options and are generally from $3 to $8 a month extra per item.
How Much Do Select Home Warranty's Plans Cost?
Select Home Warranty has pricing that is affordable for most people. In many cases, you may end up paying less than $60 per month to protect your appliances and/or home systems, especially if you are first-time customer.
The fees for service charges typically range from $75 to $100.
|Add-ons (per item)||$3-$8/month|
|Service Fee||Tiered: $75-$100|
Pros and Cons of Select Home Warranty
- Select Home Warranty has affordable pricing that may be less than $50 per month.
- Three tiers are available.
- Roof leak protection is included as part of their basic coverage.
- There is a multi-year policy discount to help you save money.
- Add-ons are very inexpensive.
- The company offers no autonomy when it comes to choosing service providers.
- The claim guidelines are strict, requiring regular maintenance for repairs to be covered.
- Pre-existing conditions are excluded.
- Add-on options are limited compared to other providers.
First American Home Warranty: Best for Protecting Appliances
First American Home Warranty is one of the oldest and most established home warranty companies in the United States, having gotten its start back in 1984.
We chose them for our list because they offer the best plan to protect home appliances, with a Starter plan that’s affordable and will repair or replace most appliances.
We also like First American for its transparency around pricing and its expansive coverage options, which include plans that cover code upgrades and improper installation.
What Coverage Options Does First American Offer?
First American offers three plan tiers and each provides protection for both appliances and home systems.
- Starter. The Starter Plan provides protection for basic appliances including the dishwasher, refrigerator, stovetop, oven, and built-in microwaves, plus coverage for electrical, heating, and plumbing.
- Essential. The Essential Plan covers everything in the Starter Plan plus air conditioning, water heaters, washer/dryer, and garage door opener.
- Premium. The Premium Plan covers everything in the Essential Plan plus full garage door system coverage, garbage disposal, luxury appliance coverage, faucets, and instant hot water dispenser, plus additional coverages.
Add-on coverage is available to cover additional appliances plus provide protection for code upgrades and installation mistakes.
What Are First American’s Prices?
While we didn’t choose them as our most affordable company, First American’s Starter Plan is extremely affordable, with costs as low as $36 per month.
We like that they charge a flat fee of $85 for servicing; the full transparency ensures that homeowners know what to expect when they file a claim.
|Plan||Pricing Range (Monthly)|
|Service Fee||Tiered: $75-$125|
Pros and Cons for First American
- First American offers affordable coverage with the option to upgrade to include additional appliances and home systems.
- The company has a solid history of paying claims in a timely manner.
- There is no age limit for appliances to be covered.
- Roof leaks are not included, although you can buy minimal roof leak protection as an add-on.
- There is a coverage cap for built-in systems.
- There are some complaints about long wait times when calling for service.
- There’s no option to reduce premium by choosing a higher service charge.
Liberty Home Guard: Best for Unique Coverage Add-Ons
Liberty Home Guard is one of the newest companies on our list, having gotten its start in 2017 and since expanded to offer home warranty protection in 48 states.
We chose them for our list because they offer an impressive list of coverage add-ons that make it possible for homeowners to customize their coverage.
We also like the company’s well-reviewed customer service and rapid response times when claims are filed, something that’s essential for a homeowner’s peace of mind.
What Coverage Does Liberty Home Guard Offer?
Liberty Home Guard has three pricing tiers that allow homeowners to choose coverage for appliances, systems, or both.
- Appliance Guard. The Appliance Guard coverage option includes coverage for most appliances, including your refrigerator, stove, oven, washer/dryer, dishwasher, garbage disposal, garage door opener, and ceiling/exhaust fans.
- Systems Guard. Systems Guard coverage protects your heating, air conditioning, ductwork, plumbing, water heater, and electrical systems.
- Total Home Guard. Total Home Guard coverage combines the coverage from Appliance Guard and Systems Guard to offer complete protection.
In addition to these tiers, Liberty Home Guard offers a huge array of add-ons if you want to cover your pool, spa, sump pump, generator, water filtration system, and much more.
What Are Liberty Home Guard’s Prices?
Liberty Home Guard offers pricing that they say can be as low as $1 per day, but on average, their prices are in line with the industry, with most policies coming in between $50 and $75 per month based on your coverage level.
Add-ons typically cost between $4 and $17, and the company charges a flat $90 service fee for each claim.
|Plans||Price Range (Monthly)|
|Total Home Guard||$55-$64|
|Add-ons (per item)||$5-$43|
|Service Fee||Tiered: $65-$125|
Pros and Cons of Liberty Home Guard
- There are extensive add-ons available to personalize your coverage.
- LIberty Home Guard offers a 60-day guarantee on workmanship.
- Coverage costs are affordable and in line with industry average.
- There is no coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- The company is relatively new in the market and doesn’t have the same track record as other companies.
- We would prefer it if there were multiple service charge tiers to help Arizonans save money.
ARW (American Residential Warranty): Best Reputation and Customer Service
American Residential Warranty has earned a superior reputation in the home warranty industry.
Customers trust their expertise and customer service, as they are committed to providing reliable protection for their clients' homes. As an A-rated insurance provider by the Better Business Bureau, American Residential Warranty is dedicated to supplying comprehensive coverage backed by local technicians who are certified and qualified to maintain and repair household systems and appliances.
From claims processing to maintenance tips, their support staff is always available to answer any questions or address
Their team of professionals takes the time to understand each customer's needs in order to customize service plans tailored to their unique situation.
What Coverage Options Does ARW Offer?
American Residential Warranty offers four plans that cover four different areas of the home.
- Water/Sewer Line Combo: Covers repairs, blockages, excavations, driveway paving, and reseeding grass.
- Kitchen Plus: The Kitchen Plus package covers all major kitchen appliances, as well as supportive systems such as electrical and water heater.
- Platinum Premier: The Platinum Premier plan includes Kitchen Plus and other major home systems such as HVAC, some plumbing, and ductwork. You also get coverage for a few extras like ceiling fans, the ice maker in your fridge, and the garage door opener.
- 4-in-1 Bundle: This is the ultimate package provided by ARW. It covers everything from the first three listed packages plus an electronics coverage plan, washer/dryer, and another deluxe package that covers things like permits and code violations, toilets, plumbing fixtures, refrigerant recapture, improper installations, and more.
A few add-ons are possible at checkout. ARW offers washer/dryer, sewer and water line coverage, their Ultimate Electronics Protection package, and pool/spa add-ons.
What Are ARW's Prices?
American Residential Warranty's prices are on par with many of their competitors, in a league with prices on the more affordable side. Their plans range from $18-$130, with add-ons ranging from an extra $8-$25 a month, depending on your choice.
The service fee and deductible is $55 for using one of ARW's licensed contractors. However, if you decide to go with your own, you are responsible for paying the fee for that contractor, which also counts as your deductible
|Plan||Price Range (Monthly)|
|Water & Sewer Line Combo||$18|
Pros and Cons of ARW
- The packages are ideal for homeowners looking to protect specific areas of the home.
- ARW provides customer service and assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Transparent website and pricing.
- Affordable prices for packages, add-ons, and service fee.
- Not a lot of choices for add-ons.
Home Warranty of America: Best for Energy Efficient Upgrades
Home Warranty of America has been providing home protection to consumers for 25 years and is one of the most experienced and trusted home warranty companies in the US.
They are known for their stellar customer service, which has received strong reviews.
However it's their GreenPlus coverage that really stands. If your appliances or systems need to be replaced, most home warranties will replace them with the same or comparable models.
But with Home Warranty of America's GreenPlus you get your appliances replaced with energy efficient models so you can save extra.
What Coverage Options Does Home Warranty of America Offer?
There are two coverage options available from Home Warranty of America, as follows.
- Premier Plan. The Premier Plan provides basic coverage for many home appliances and systems, including heating, electrical, and plumbing systems, plus cooktops, ovens, dishwashers, washer/dryer, and refrigerators.
- Premier PLUS Plan. The Premier PLUS Plan covers everything in the Premier Plan but adds additional coverage for appliances and systems, including coverage for air conditioning.
Add-on coverages include pool/spa, septic systems, stand-alone freezers, and more, plus the company’s GreenPlus option to replace appliances with Energy Star-certified alternatives.
What Are Home Warranty of America’s Prices?
Pricing for Home Warranty of America is in line with national averages. The Premier Plan runs about $50 per month, with the average for Premier PLUS coverage just under $60.
Add-ons range in price from a few dollars per month to $25 for salt water pool coverage, and you can choose your service fee level, with options ranging from $75 to $100.
|Plans||Price Range (Monthly)|
|Select Plus Plan||$58-$83|
Pros and Cons of Home Warranty America
- Home Warranty of America provides excellent customer service that’s available 24/7.
- The GreenPlus add-on means that you’ll get energy-efficient replacements for your appliances when you file a claim.
- Choosing the $100 service fee option will reduce your annual expenses.
- The company has a trusted network of 25,000+ service providers across the country.
- Coverage for air conditioning is available only with Premier PLUS coverage.
- There’s a cap of $15,000 per service term.
|BBB Rating||Not Rated|
America’s First Choice (AFC) Home Club: Best for Choosing Your Own Technician
America’s First Choice Home Club has been providing home warranty protection since 2009, making it one of the younger companies on our list.
We chose them as one of the best home warranty companies in Arizona because they’re one of only a few companies that allow homeowners to choose their own technician.
We also like them for their stellar customer service and variety of plans that allow homeowners to choose the coverage that’s best for them.
What Coverage Options Does America’s First Choice Offer?
America’s First Choice offers four plan options.
- Systems Plan. The Systems Plan provides coverage for six home systems, including heating, air conditioning, plumbing, electrical, ductwork, and water heater.
- Silver Plan.The Silver Plan provides coverage for nine major appliances, including your range, oven, washer, dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator, garbage disposal, and garage door opener.
- Gold Plan. The Gold Plan combines coverage from the Systems and Silver Plans, providing protection for 15 systems and appliances.
- Platinum Plan. The Platinum Plan covers everything in the Gold Plan and adds coverage for your ice maker, built-in microwave, plumbing stoppages, and fans.
There are add-ons available that include coverage for your pool & spa, septic system, sump pump, central vacuum, and even electronics.
What Are America’s First Choice’s Prices?
Prices for the Systems Plan and Silver Plan average about $40 per month, while the Gold and Platinum Plans cost about $50 per month.
Add-on coverage ranges from a few dollars to $20 per month or more, and you can choose your own service fee level ranging from $75 to $125.
|Add-ons (per item)||$25-$100|
|Service Fee||Tiered: $75-$125|
Pros and Cons of America’s First Choice
- America’s First Choice is one of the only home warranty companies that allows homeowners to choose their technicians.
- You can select the service fee, and choosing a higher fee will reduce your monthly costs.
- The Platinum Coverage cost is low when compared to other premium home warranties.
- The company charges a higher-than-average cancellation fee of $75.
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered.
What is Covered by Home Warranties?
One of the most important things to do before you buy a home warranty is to understand what’s covered and what isn’t.
Keep in mind that each company has its own plan tiers and it’s important to read the fine print to make sure you understand what you’re buying.
Many home appliances are covered by home warranty insurance, including the following things.
- Washing machine
- Garbage disposal
- Garage door opener
- Built-in microwaves
Some companies offer the option to cover additional appliances, including fans stand-alone freezers.
Home systems are covered at a variety of levels, and here are the systems that are commonly covered.
- Air conditioning
Air conditioning is the coverage that’s most commonly carved out and requires an additional payment to be covered, so be sure to check to see if it’s covered before you buy.
Most home warranty companies offer an array of optional coverage that can provide protection for appliances and systems not covered under a basic plan.
- Sump pumps
- Well pumps
- Water filtration systems
- Full garage door systems
Keep in mind that each add-on you choose to supplement your coverage will increase your monthly costs.
Benefits and Risks of Buying Home Warranty
Here are some of the most important benefits and risks of purchasing a home warranty.
- Home warranties provide peace of mind that you’ll be protected if your home appliances or systems stop working due to normal wear and tear.
- Buying a home warranty fills in some of the gaps in your homeowners insurance coverage.
- Budgeting for home maintenance is easier with a home warranty than without one, since many of your costs will be fixed and lower than they would be without a warranty.
- Your home warranty company will have a list of approved service providers, saving you the time of researching providers on your own.
- Every home warranty has exclusions, so you may not be able to get service or replacements for everything.
- Home warranty coverage is a regular monthly expense added to your budget.
- Many home warranty companies require routine maintenance (and proof thereof) when you file a claim.
- You may not have the option to choose your own service provider.
Home Warranty vs. Home Insurance
One of the questions we are asked most frequently is about the difference between a home warranty and home insurance.
Let’s start with homeowners insurance, which provides coverage for the structure of your home and your home’s contents if they are damaged or destroyed by covered events.
By contrast, home warranty insurance covers your appliances and home systems only, and will provide coverage for normal wear and tear–something that’s not covered by your homeowners insurance policy.
Another difference is that homeowners insurance policies come with an annual deductible, which you’ll pay only once, while home warranty coverage comes with a per-claim service charge, which you will be responsible for any time you file a claim.
Finally, homeowners insurance is required by mortgage lenders while purchasing a home warranty is optional.
Home warranty protection may be useful for new homeowners or those with aging appliances and systems, while it may not be necessary for those who live in a newly-constructed home and are unlikely to have appliance or system breakdowns (or have existing warranty protection from manufacturers.)
Is Purchasing a Home Warranty Worth It?
Home warranty protection fills in some of the gaps left by homeowners insurance and may be a good choice for Arizonans who don’t want to worry about major expenses caused by appliance or system failure.
The most important thing you can do when purchasing home warranty protection is to read the fine print and make sure you understand what’s covered and what isn’t since each company is unique.
Because air conditioning is a must for Arizona homeowners, we suggest purchasing a warranty that includes coverage for air conditioning systems.
We recommend obtaining quotes from at least three home warranty companies to compare costs and coverages before you buy protection.
How We Chose the Best Home Warranty Companies in Arizona
We looked at four main criteria to choose the best home warranty companies in Arizona, as follows.
Price is a major concern for most homeowners, so we chose companies with pricing in line with the national averages for home warranty coverage.
We believe that each homeowner should be able to choose home warranty coverage at a level that meets their needs, so we prioritized those companies with multiple coverage options and add-ons to allow homeowners to customize their coverage.
Filing a claim is always a little stressful, but we think the process should be easy–and that’s why we selected companies with a simple claims filing system and excellent, around-the-clock support.
Many homeowners prefer to get quotes and file claims online, so we selected companies with informative and easy-to-use websites and online service options.